Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting data
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting data Post 302407469 by methyl on Thursday 25th of March 2010 01:56:46 PM
Old 03-25-2010
A shell "open logic" approach:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
FIRST_TIME="Y"
CATEGORY_PREV="XXXXX"
ITEM_LIST=""
#
awk '{print $2,$1}' filename|while read CATEGORY ITEM
do
        # First time through?
        if [ "${FIRST_TIME}" = "Y" ]
        then
                ITEM_LIST="${ITEM}"
                CATEGORY_PREV="${CATEGORY}"
                FIRST_TIME="N"
                continue
        fi
        #
        # Same category?
        if [ "${CATEGORY}" = "${CATEGORY_PREV}" ]
        then
                ITEM_LIST="${ITEM_LIST}, ${ITEM}"
                continue
        fi
        #
        # New category
        echo "${CATEGORY_PREV} ${ITEM_LIST}"
        CATEGORY_PREV="${CATEGORY}"
        ITEM_LIST="${ITEM}"
done
#
# Output last line
if [ ! "${CATEGORY_PREV}" = "XXXXX" ]
then
        echo "${CATEGORY_PREV} ${ITEM_LIST}"
fi

Food Rice, Carrots, Beans
Kitchen Plates, Fork, Knives

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting data from who by IP

Hello. I have an RS/6000 running AIX 4 and I need to be able to see if there are any users that are logged on more than once from the same terminal so I can kick them off to make room for other terminals. 64 connections is the limit. Currently I am doing this: who | more and then manually... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL data - sorting

Hello, I have a page where multiple fields and their values are displayed. But I am able to sort only a few fields. When I looked into the issue, it is seen that the for each row of info , an unique id is generated and id.txt is generated and saved. Only those fields which are inside that id.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data from a to z

Hi, Let's say I have these 3 columns; NGC1234 6 9 SL899 4 1 NGC1075 8 3 SL709 5 2 And I want to sort the data according to the first column (from a to z) like having them as: NGC1075 8 3 NGC1234 6 9 SL709 5 2 SL899 4 1 Can that be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting Command

Hi, I have a problem on data sorting, example my file as below: 123 123/789 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 112 112/123 aaa bbb ccc (ade) 102 1a3/7g9 (adf)03 110 12b/129 aaa bbb ccc ddd fff(a8f)03 117 42f/8c9 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 142 120/tyu fff... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting

Hi All, I have a long list made of 4 columns containing entries such as the following example: a b c d 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 2 2 5 3 4 3 8 4 6 4 10 9 8 5 15 8 10So the top row is the header and I need to arrange the data in a way as to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the Data

My actual data looks like below i have given only format. i can't give exact data format of my requirement due to some reasons. I this set of data lines about 5000 I need to come up with information in below exact format of my data set : Line<space>Number1<space>"somedata":... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckaramsetty
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the data with date

Hi, PFB the data: C_Random_130417 Java_Random_130518 Perl_Random_120519 Perl_Random_120528 so the values are ending with year,i.e.,130417 i want to sort the values with date. i want the output like this: Perl_Random_120519 Perl_Random_120528 C_Random_130417 Java_Random_130518 can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How AS 400 sorting data?

Hi Gurus, I have a requests to sort data based on AS 400 sorting order. below is example: the data is sorted by ascending order. could anybody explain how AS 400 sort data? IMM00007 07918607 1242 423 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)