Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find file in a directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find file in a directory Post 302406537 by frans on Tuesday 23rd of March 2010 08:10:37 AM
Old 03-23-2010
If it gives you a list of files it's because your directory/file specifications corresponds to more tyhan one file. With wildcards like '*' it's not surprisingly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a corrupted file in a directory

Hi, Dunno if this has already been discussed but can anyone tell me if there is any utility/command to find a corrupted file in an unix directory. With smile, karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skarthik_d
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

3. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy file to another directory..

Hi Everybody, i want a samll help to write a script. i had source location with :/user/bin (bin contains subdirectories with like names emails etc and had several files in each subdirectory) and target location with :/usr/scripts (having same subdirectories names and had some files)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file directory

Hi, I am using the below command for searching the file var_SearchFile= find $var_DataSourcePath -name $var_SourceFileName Output: c:\test\Sample\Testfile.txt But I need to retrive only the Path that is "c:\test\Sample\" (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: magesh_bala
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file only from a Directory

Hi, I am using the below query to find files from a Directory: SOURCE_DIR--Directory Files in the Directory: ABC.log XYZ.out The SOURCE_DIR has subdirectory.... when i use the below command... find /apps/informatica/node1/scripts/test '(' -name '*.log' -o -name '*.out'... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cannot find file directory

hi, i use command at below to copy the file and put it in the new file (if no such file, it will create right ) cat id_rsa.pub >>~/.ssh/authorized_keys it give me error bash: /home/pc2/.ssh/authorized_keys : No such file or directory can anyone tell me why this happened ? thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ericyue
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a pattern from an external file in a directory containing multiple file recursively

Hi, Need your help in this. I have an input file that has multiple enrollment_number, somewhat like 1234567 8901234 9856321 6732187 7623465 Now i have to search and delete these enrollment_number recursively from all the files that are within multiple sub-directories of a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
10 Replies

9. Solaris

/bin/find: stat() error <File> : No such file or directory

Hi, I am getting below error in Solaris 10 SPARC when trying to issue a search on /var/tmp partition Below is the query /bin/find /var/tmp/ -type f -atime +1 Below is the result /bin/find: stat() error <File> : No such file or directory (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
28 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find and get a file in an entire directory with an excluded directory specified?

How to get a file 'zlib.h' in an entire directory with an excluded directory specified lives under that starting directory by using find command, as it failed on: $ find . -name 'zlib.h' -a -ipath 'CHROME.TMP' -prune -o -print it'll just list entirely up (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
2 Replies
RECEIVE(1)						      General Commands Manual							RECEIVE(1)

NAME
receive - receive files from the sendfile spool SYNOPSIS
receive [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -k ] [ -P ] [ -S ] [ -Z spool ] [ -q ] [ -ffrom ] file [...] receive -n [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -k ] [ -P ] [ -S ] [ -Z spool ] [ -q ] file-number [...] receive [ -s ] [ -l ] [ -L ] [ -R ] [ -ffrom ] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] [ -f"from" ] file [...] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] [ -f"from" ] -n file-number [...] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] -a DESCRIPTION
receive files from the sendfile spool which has been sent to you. If there is already a file with the same name you will be prompted for overwriting or renaming. Allowed wildcards in file names are: * ? [abc] [^abc] CAUTION: you have to put wildcards and other special characters in '' quotes to hide them for interpretation by your shell. OPTIONS
-n receive file number(s) -d delete instead of receive -a receive (or delete or bounce) all files -r rename before receiving -k keep files in spool after receiving -P pipe files to stdout -S receive only pgp-signed files -s list files in short format -l list files -L list files and look inside archives, too -R renumber files in spool -b bounce (forward) files to another recipient -q quiet mode: no questions asked -fuser all actions refer only to files from this user -Z spool specify an alternate spool directory EXAMPLES
receive -L list all files in long format. receive 'blubb*' receive all files starting with string "blubb". receive -daf microsoft.com delete all files from microsoft.com sites. receive -b framstag@bofh '*.jpg' bounce all *.jpg-files to framstag@bofh. FILES
/var/spool/sendfile The sendfile spool directory. /var/spool/sendfile/$USER/log A log of the last transfers. /etc/sendfile.deny Users which are not allowed to receive files or messages (set by root). SEE ALSO
sendfile(1). AUTHOR
Ulli Horlacher - framstag@rus.uni-stuttgart.de 3rd Berkeley Distribution RECEIVE(1)