Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execute Root command as Normal user Post 302406309 by TonyLawrence on Monday 22nd of March 2010 01:53:18 PM
Old 03-22-2010
As noted, the command could be made setuid (assuming its not a shell script). If your system has "sudo", specific users can execute specific or general commands as another user or as root. If you don't have "sudo", try a "man" on "asroot" or "tfadmin" (similar concepts found on some older Unix systems).

sudo (Linux, many other Unixes) : Using sudo
asroot (SCO 3.2v5) :How can I make a shell script setuid so that ordinary usersmay
tfadmin (Unixware 7): uw7 root priveleges sudu asroot -->Re: system shutdown byregular users - asroot won't do it
rbac (Solaris): BigAdmin Submitted Article: Custom Roles Using RBAC in the Solaris OS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching between root and a normal user

I am writing a script that has some tasks that must be run as root, then set of tasks to be run as normal user, then again as root. is there a way to switch between users in a script? any other alternatives? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

su root from normal user

Got a cron to run everyday under my user. this cronjob runs a script from my /home/jack/scripts/run.sh clear # # su to root and run a script, return with result # su - # passwd # run /getfile.sh # return with result # the result will copy 2 files from /prod/app/logs/ and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into root from user and execute command through script

i have logged in as user. I want to write a script to login into root and execute commands for eg. ifconfig or other command. kindly help me out. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

6. Solaris

java version mismatch for normal user and root user

:confused: I installed latest version of java ( jre 1.6) on Solaris Machine ......when I run java -version as root, shows the latest version but when I run java -version as normal user, shows the old / previous version What should I do to fix this ...should show the latest version... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a command as root from normal user

Hi , I am trying to stop and start a process using the below code. I have sudo access on my machine ## PID = process id echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S kill -9 <PID> echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S /opt/abc/startserver /opt/abc/startserver: error while loading shared libraries: librts.so: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will Chkconfig works for normal user apart from root user

Hi, I am trying to schedule a script that starts on reboot.I came across chkconfig utility to schedule scripts on reboot. Problem here is can i how to use this chkconfig to schedule a script that runs a s normal user. Or if there is any other function to schedule on reboot as normal user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveena kotapa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command with root user

i m logged in with user1 id. i wish to execute the below as root user for which i tried several commands but all of them fail. sudo 'cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger' Password: sudo: cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger: command not found sudo cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger bash:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
uri_urn(n)					    Tcl Uniform Resource Identifier Management						uri_urn(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
uri_urn - URI utilities, URN scheme SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require uri::urn ?1.1.2? uri::urn::quote url uri::urn::unquote url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides two commands to quote and unquote the disallowed characters for url using the urn scheme, registers the scheme with the package uri, and provides internal helpers which will be automatically used by the commands uri::split and uri::join of package uri to handle urls using the urn scheme. COMMANDS
uri::urn::quote url This command quotes the characters disallowed by the urn scheme (per RFC 2141 sec2.2) in the url and returns the modified url as its result. uri::urn::unquote url This commands performs the reverse of ::uri::urn::quote. It takes an urn url, removes the quoting from all disallowed characters, and returns the modified urls as its result. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category uri of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
rfc 2141, uri, url, urn CATEGORY
Networking uri 1.1.2 uri_urn(n)