Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find -exec directories with spaces Post 302403458 by drewk on Friday 12th of March 2010 02:53:31 PM
Old 03-12-2010
Have you considered using find -print0 | xargs construct?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directories with spaces in name - looking for help with questions in that issue

I need to work with 'nice' directory names which have some spaces in name, and that brings some questions and not-understanding. Would some expert help me out how to deal with that?! My task is to document some processing, running from some script. I do need to have spaces in directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & dirname:problems with white spaces in Directories

Hi all, my problem: (little extract from my bash-script) I want to move each file (.mov) from one directory (and many Subdirectories) to another directory (only one); after moving i want to create hardlinks to the old directories. Thatīs no problem, but now: source-directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tubian
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find folders with spaces and end of files and directories

Hi I need a script that can search through a set of directories and can locate any file or directory that has a space at the end Filename(space) Foldername(space) I then need to remove that space within the script Hope someone can help thanks in advance Treds (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find 777 permisson is there or not for Directories and sub-directories

Hi All, I am Oracle Apps Tech guy, I have a requirement to find 777 permission is there or not for all Folders and Sub-folders Under APPL_TOP (Folder/directory) with below conditions i) the directory names should start with xx..... (like xxau,xxcfi,xxcca...etc) and exclude the directory... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directories with spaces

My code path=`find /root/folder/ -maxdepth 100 -type d | sort --random-sort | head -1` if this returns a directory with spaces in for instance: /root/folder/this is a folder is there a way to replace the value of path with the same value but with the spaces replaced so its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directories having spaces

Hi I have a list file with complete path of files and there are directories with spaces. Now when i read the list file, read the line and read the file it says no file found because of the space. How can I get through this issues for file in $(<list_file.txt) do first_line=`head -1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
8 Replies
DH_USRLOCAL(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_USRLOCAL(1)

NAME
dh_usrlocal - migrate usr/local directories to maintainer scripts SYNOPSIS
dh_usrlocal [debhelperoptions] [-n] DESCRIPTION
dh_usrlocal is a debhelper program that can be used for building packages that will provide a subdirectory in /usr/local when installed. It finds subdirectories of usr/local in the package build directory, and removes them, replacing them with maintainer script snippets (unless -n is used) to create the directories at install time, and remove them when the package is removed, in a manner compliant with Debian policy. These snippets are inserted into the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb. See dh_installdeb(1) for an explanation of debhelper maintainer script snippets. When the Rules-Requires-Root field is not (effectively) binary-targets, the directories in /usr/local will have ownership root:staff and the mode will be 02775. These values have been chosen to comply with the recommendations of the Debian policy for directories in /usr/local. When Rules-Requires-Root has an effective value of binary-targets, the owners, groups and permissions will be preserved with one exception. If the directory is owned by root:root, then ownership will be reset to root:staff and mode will be reset to 02775. This is useful, since that is the group and mode policy recommends for directories in /usr/local. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 2.2 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_USRLOCAL(1)