Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work Post 302402841 by Scott on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 07:17:43 PM
Old 03-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Personally I would modify the Oracle provided script "dbshut" to issue "shutdown immediate" rather than just "shutdown". It is ruthless in disconnecting sessions but lets you get on with the next task such as a database backup. This botch "technique" has worked well for Oracle 7,8,9 .
Here's what dbshut says:

Quote:
# This script is used to shutdown ORACLE from /etc/rc(.local).
# It should ONLY be executed as part of the system boot procedure.
I didn't see anything about shutting down or rebooting a server in the question.

Besides, the OP was asking about when shutdown immediate takes too long. The simple solution would be to wait the hour for the ORA-01013 and take that as a no.

I would investigate the 0600 though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown script

Hi Guys, I want to execute few of my bash script, so that whenever someone calls shutdown now -r command, I want my script to execute first before shutting down. Any help please????? I've just started playing with the unix system, so far its been brilliant.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_manic
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A script for shutdown

I want to make a script to shutdown a unixware computer from other user then root. In Sco version i use "as root" but in the unixware i don't know. Please help me. 10x (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelu
12 Replies

3. HP-UX

Shutdown script

Hi, I am on Alpha Server with HP Tru64 system. I wish to setup shutdown to automatically and cleanly shutdown informix during the shutting down of the system. Ie. I was trying to use rc0.d to do this but failed. Has anyone tried doing this before? I already have the script and linked it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capturing Oracle Shutdown error

Hi, Iam calling 3 sql scripts through one shell script 'rmia.sh'. Till now this was working fine, but last time while calling the SQL scripts, Oracle was down. But amazingly the exit status was '0' (success)!!! Below is the shell code: #!/usr/bin/ksh -x assign_file asql a.sql 1... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
15 Replies

5. BSD

Battery Empty -> force shutdown

hi Howto force shutdown on the notebook with freeBSD before battery is empty? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle DB Start shutdown scripts

Hi, We have a requirement wherein we do not want to share the Oracle DB sys and system passwords to be shared with the support desk. But they will be responsible for starting/shuting down the Database. Is it possible to write a shell script which will read the sys and system passwords from a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
0 Replies

7. Solaris

shutdown -y -i5 -g0 DOESN'T work

hello, The command above seems not working on my solaris 8/9 sparc machines. a. resulted to the ff below when I instead use "shutdown" only. Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on "hostname" date.. The system "hostname" will be shut down in 30 seconds THE SYSTEM bdosg IS BEING SHUT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

db shutdown script

I am going to create shutdown database script. We have dabase shutdown script. But i need take dabase which online and make it down. I got user id which needs to dabase to down ID=`ps -ef | grep -i pmon | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'` ( got orace side DB=`ps -ef | grep -i pmon |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: allwin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required for Oracle database shutdown script conversion from shell to perl

Please tell me how to convert below program from shell script to perl. Same commands need to use in shutdown, just need program help for startup. export ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle1 lsnrctl start lndb1 sqlplus '/ as sysdba' startup; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Shutdown Oracle DB on SunOS Cluster

Hi, I've this Oracle database version: Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production Oracle is install in a SunOS DBSERVER1 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v cluster (Not RAC environment) DBSERVER1 is node active and DBSERVER2 is node inactive ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: db_senior
4 Replies
REGISTER_SHUTDOWN_FUNCTION(3)						 1					     REGISTER_SHUTDOWN_FUNCTION(3)

register_shutdown_function - Register a function for execution on shutdown

SYNOPSIS
void register_shutdown_function (callable $callback, [mixed $parameter], [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Registers a $callback to be executed after script execution finishes or exit(3) is called. Multiple calls to register_shutdown_function(3) can be made, and each will be called in the same order as they were registered. If you call exit(3) within one registered shutdown function, processing will stop completely and no other registered shutdown functions will be called. PARAMETERS
o $callback - The shutdown callback to register. The shutdown callbacks are executed as the part of the request, so it's possible to send output from them and access output buffers. o $parameter - It is possible to pass parameters to the shutdown function by passing additional parameters. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the passed callback is not callable a E_WARNING level error will be generated. EXAMPLES
Example #1 register_shutdown_function(3) example <?php function shutdown() { // This is our shutdown function, in // here we can do any last operations // before the script is complete. echo 'Script executed with success', PHP_EOL; } register_shutdown_function('shutdown'); ?> NOTES
Note Working directory of the script can change inside the shutdown function under some web servers, e.g. Apache. Note Shutdown functions will not be executed if the process is killed with a SIGTERM or SIGKILL signal. While you cannot intercept a SIGKILL, you can use pcntl_signal(3) to install a handler for a SIGTERM which uses exit(3) to end cleanly. SEE ALSO
auto_append_file, exit(3), The section on connection handling. PHP Documentation Group REGISTER_SHUTDOWN_FUNCTION(3)