Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to mksysb to a tape drive connected to a different LPAR? Post 302400490 by need2bageek on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 10:14:37 AM
Old 03-03-2010
How to mksysb to a tape drive connected to a different LPAR?

I have 2 LPARs running AIX 5.3. Both are on the same VLAN. One LPAR, which I'll call LPAR2, has a 4mm SCSI tape drive connected to it, while LPAR1 does not have a tape drive connected. I am able to take mksysb backups of LPAR2 to the tape drive since it's directly connected. However, I need to take mksysb backups of LPAR1 to the same tape drive without having to disconnect it from LPAR2. Is there a way to remote mount the tape drive to LPAR1? Smilie

I'm wondering if there's a way to share the tape drive using NFS. And if not, what methods are available for doing this? I know it can be done, I've seen it, but they were using a third party backup utility (Sysback) to pull it off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape Drive Connected to a Sun Ultra 10/Solaris 2.7

I have a Sun Ultra 10/Solaris 2.7 with a differential SCSI card connected to a Supter DLt1 Tape Drive. When I boot the machine, and I do a probe-scsi-all in the very beginning of the boot process. It shows up correctly. If I wait for the boot process to proceed and then I do a probe-scsi-all, I get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brv
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 4.3 mksysb tape incomplete

anybody knows how to recover from a tape in AIX 4.3 from a IBM rs6000 170 system backup done only 97% ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jupiter8
0 Replies

3. AIX

Restoring mksysb to vio lpar?

I have a standard template I deploy for each of my AIX servers. It's in a mksysb format which I pulled via the nim server after I originally set it up. I'm trying to restore this mksysb over the wire to a remote system. The remote system is an lpar running under vio (no HMC attached). The disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

4. AIX

savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ?

Every 3 months we have to do backups (smitth mksysb/lsmksysb + tar) on at least 30 workstations. We have to carry around 2 external tape drives to connect to them. It is a pain to do because it takes at least 3 days to do (evening/night shift) and users sometimes complain that there desk is not put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. AIX

Script: how to find out the label of a tape and if its an mksysb one ?

Hi, how can I find out though kron shell (aix 4.2) what the label of a tape is ? Also, how can I find out if that tape has been used for an mksysb and when ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 new fiber connected tape

Hello all, how can i see configured fc tapes in solaris system and how can i install a new fc shared tape device , thanks Best Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogacd
2 Replies

7. AIX

aix installation from mksysb tape

Hello, I am trying to install a server from a mksysb made on an other server but whit his proper image.data and bosinst.data, but after selecting boot from DLT tape and starting installation in normal mode with default setting, I get this error message : error / warning there is no disk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
2 Replies

8. AIX

mksysb to tape too slow...

had this p520 server connected to a DDS-3 4mm tape drive... running AIX 7.1 TL01 -- the latest release. mksysb -i -e /dev/rmt/1 ..tells me only 1% is done after over an hour ... I had no problems with th hardware and other connections... tar command to /dev/rmt/1 runs very fast ....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
3 Replies

9. AIX

Restore mksysb image on cloned LPAR

Hi Folks, How to restore mksysb image on LPAR which is already having cloned AIX OS installed on hdisk0 (nothing configured, only full partition image is sitting on hdisk0) Let me know. Thank a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
1 Replies

10. AIX

Can I use mkdvd to create bootable DVD from mksysb on tape

Hi, Is it possible to use mkdvd to create a bootable DVD using a mksysb on tape as the source image? On the system concerned, we don't have enough free space to create the mksysb to file first, so would like to use the existing tape mksysb backup. The DVD disk/s will then be used to boot a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanp36
4 Replies
tms(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    tms(7)

NAME
tms - TMSCP magnetic tape interface SYNOPSIS
For XMI/KDM on Alpha-based systems: bus xmi0 at iop0 vector xmierror controller uq0 at xmi? port kdm vector uqintr device tape tms0 at uq0 drive 0 For MSI Bus: only MIPS-based DECsystem 5500 bus msi0 at ibus? vector msi_isr controller dssc1 at msi0 msinode 1 device tape tms3 at dssc1 drive 3 For XMI/CI/HSC on Alpha-based systems: bus xmi0 at iop0 vector xmierror bus ci0 at xmi? port np vector cimna_isr controller hsc6 at ci0 cinode 6 device tape tms3 at hsc6 drive 3 For tms devices dual ported between two controllers: device tape tms2 at * drive 2 DESCRIPTION
The TMSCP driver provides a standard tape drive interface, as described in mtio(7). This is a driver for any controller that adheres to the Tape Mass Storage Control Protocol (TMSCP). The TMSCP controllers communicate with the host through a packet-oriented protocol termed the Tape Mass Storage Control Protocol. Tape Support - Alpha-based systems TA78, TA79, TA81, TA90, TA90E, TA91 Diagnostics All diagnostic messages are sent to the error logger subsystem. FILES
/dev/rmt??? /dev/nrmt??? SEE ALSO
mtio(7), MAKEDEV(8), uerf(8), tapex(8) delim off tms(7)