Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about X fonts
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Question about X fonts Post 302399792 by SilversleevesX on Monday 1st of March 2010 03:07:47 PM
Old 03-01-2010
Educated guess? Whatever it is that's in your OS that enables displaying non-Western characters in window title bars/captions isn't itself enabled for Cyrillic. You may be missing a library or a package or two. The application has it (many do -- web browsers will often 'parse' a language and display it correctly when nothing else you have installed will do so), but whatever drives the software's title bars doesn't, or isn't correctly configured to handle some languages.

Some of the older-style, rxvt- and xterm-derived terminal emulators have configuration files that you can edit to enable displaying non-Western characters in caption areas, either one at a time or two or three at a go. I'm not familiar, myself, with how to edit such files to do such enabling, but I would guess someone else on this Forum may be able to help you further. Before too long.

BZT

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer fonts

Hi, I have a Barcode printer. It's defined as a remote printer on the system. The /etc/lp/interface/<printer> file is printing has a part that enables Hebrew printing. For some reason the Printer is printing in a very small font. I'll attach the interface file: #!/usr/bin/sh # /* @(#)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunbird
3 Replies

2. Linux

Installing new fonts

Hi All, I'm running RH 7.3 and wish to install new fonts on the box ? What are the steps in downloading and installing new fonts ? Thanks, KENT (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kxchen_home
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fonts?

NEWBIE HERE...by default, where are the font files located (ttf's) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geek01
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Default fonts with Tcl and Tk

Our SAs just rebuilt all of our SunOS and Linux boxes. All the TCL tools I had developed will come up but the font is the dingbat font set. Unless I explicitly set each button, label, radiobutton, etc. with "-font = $font" (which I defint at the top to "helvetica 9"), I get the funky characters.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottwevans
0 Replies

5. Solaris

CDE Fonts

Hi gurus, Interesting little problem here. IVe got an Xmanager installed on my PC. I use it to connect to the DTlogin / CDE sessions I have running on a number of solaris servers. If I connect to server A, I get the login server, which I log into as root, I then start a terminal session,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Fonts on SunOS 5.6

I work in a SunOS server. I want to check which is the default font. Actually I need to check which font is using right now in Terminal and how to change it. Please help me suggesting the command set ---------- Post updated 08-23-09 at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-22-09 at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
5 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Categorisation of fonts

This one thing that has been on my mind for at least a decade. At times I need a font for a specific purpose, but there is no designer around to guide me. I go to sites that offer fonts and locate one that I think is suitable. There seems to be no common categorisation however, that offers criteria... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing fonts with Acroread

Hello I am trying to print pdf on a solaris machine. The acroread works but the font are too big. I am printing on a HP printer. Can anyone advise on how to change the font size, and margins size? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lillyt2006
5 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)