Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Handling in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Handling in UNIX Post 302395384 by sujainarayan on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 12:18:35 AM
Old 02-16-2010
File Handling

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply..But the code aint working. I tried the following command

perl -F '\|' -anle '$n=substr($F[1],2);print $_."|"x(42-$n)' Rej3.txt
Error: Can't open perl script "\|": A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

Here Rej3.txt is the name of the file. One more thing the FA* field(Reject count field ) is present as the seventh field in each record.

Also it will be great if you explain the meaning of each and every part in the command syntax. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling spaces in unix

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the script I receive several parameters. One of them is a subject. The subject may contain spaces. Ex. Test this. When I am running the script on telnet to test, how should the syntax at the command line be written. I have this: ksh ResendE.sh '001111'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercbw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File handling in UNIX

Hi All, I want to read a file in UNIX line by line. Can u suggest me any command for this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENC22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VARIABLE HANDLING in UNIX

Hi All, :confused: can anyone throw some light on variable handling in UNIX script?? I want to know about the local variables we declare inside the UNIX script. e.g. i=10 OR cat file1 | while read line do echo $line done etc. Does UNIX have any data types Can some one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling, getopts command in unix

I need to create a shell script having the menu with few options such as 1. Listing 2. Change permissions 3. Modify Contents 4. Delete Files 5. Exit 1. For 1. Listing: Display a special listing of files showing their date of modification and access time (side by side) along with their... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in switch case handling in UNIX

Hi, In below code, i am expecting the output has Bye Bye But i am getting has Bye Hi Code: #!/usr/bin/bash var="Hi" cat txt.txt | while read var1 do next="Bye" case $var in Hi) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamani
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Socket Handling Differences Between Linux & Unix?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I have been developing a Java application that I am deploying on both Unix and Linux servers, which uses lots of socket handling. When the server side connection is dropped by the server un-gracefully I have been seeing close_waits and null connections. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinnie
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling in Unix shell scripting

Hello, I have written a shell script and suppose there is any error in the script. How i can do exception handling in shell script.for example i have below code sqlplus -s <<uid>>/<<pwd>>@<<$ORACLE_SID>> <<EOF > 1_pid1.log set pagesize 0 set feedback off set heading off set linesize 200... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksingh003
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX File handling -Issue in reading a file

I have been doing automation of daily check activity for a server, i have been using sqls to retrive the data and while loop for reading the data from the file for several activities. BUT i got a show stopper the below one.. where the data is getting store in $temp_file, but not being read by while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
1 Replies

9. Programming

Please help:program hang stuck there signal handling on POSIX Message Queue UNIX C programming

in a single main() function,so need signal handling. Use Posix Message Queue IPC mechanism , can ignore the priority and other linked list message,to implement the scenario: client:Knock Knock server:who's there client: Eric Server:Eric,Welcome. client:exit all process terminated ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ouou
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file handling issue

I have a huge file semicolon( ; ) separated records are Pipe(|) delimited. e.g abc;def;ghi|jkl;mno;pqr|123;456;789 I need to replace the 50th field(semicolon separated) of each record with 9006. The 50th field can have no value e.g. ;; Can someone help me with the appropriate command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
3 Replies
syscallbysysc.d(1m)						   USER COMMANDS					       syscallbysysc.d(1m)

NAME
syscallbysysc.d - syscalls by syscall. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
syscallbysysc.d DESCRIPTION
syscallbysysc.d is a DTrace OneLiner to a report of the number of each type of system call made. This is useful to identify which system call is the most common. Docs/oneliners.txt and Docs/Examples/oneliners_examples.txt in the DTraceToolkit contain this as a oneliner that can be cut-n-paste to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # syscallbysysc.d FIELDS
first field This is the system call type. Most have man pages in section 2. second field This is the count, the number of occurrances for this system call. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
syscallbysysc.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
procsystime(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 May 15, 2005 syscallbysysc.d(1m)