Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. Post 302395203 by islam.said on Monday 15th of February 2010 08:59:20 AM
Old 02-15-2010
the .profile of the user account on the AIX P5
/home/user/.profile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script as a login shell return "no controlling terminal"

I have created a ksh shell script and used it as a login shell for a user. </etc/passwd> lramirev:x:111:200:Luis:/export/home/menush:/usr/local/menush/menush My shell script is like this: </usr/local/menush/menush> #!/bin/ksh # if ] then . $HOME/.profile fi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramirev
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

script running with "ksh" dumping core but not with "sh"

Hi, I have small script written in korn shell. When it is called from different script, its dumping core, but no core dump when we run it standalone. And its not dumping core if we run the script using "/bin/sh" instead of "ksh" Can some body please help me how to resolve this issue. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: simhe02
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the output of "find" command in a variable?

I intend to find the path/full location of a file(filename given by user thru "read filenme") using "find" or any other command and then store it's output in a variable for some other processing. But struggling to put all things together (i.e finding the fully qualified location of that file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert "#!/bin/bash" to output file

Hi Guys, I want to put or insert #!/bin/bash to my output file named outputfile.sh. Please need some help. inputfile.txt 1111111111 2222222222 3333333333 script: awk -f script.awk inputfile.txt > outputfile.sh DESIRED OUTPUT: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinpe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why PieTTY echo login password as "*"?

Normally, When we login a remote server, the password does'nt echo as anything. But When I use PieTTY(on windows) to login a linux ssh server, the password echoes as "*". But When I have logged in, I use the ssh command to login the same server locally again, now the password does'nt echo. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get "n" number of lines from the specified file and store the output to the new file

Hiii. How are you all. .. I have started to learn bash scripting.. . and I am pretty much trying to execute this script which I am still not successful.. . This is what I am trying to do. .. need to get "n" number of lines from the specified file and store the output to the new file in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsycho
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"echo" outputs not appear into Log file

Hi, - From Script : echo "************************************" echo "NEW_ORACLE_SID : " ${NEW_ORACLE_SID} echo "************************************" echo "" >> /auto_clone/${NEW_ORACLE_SID}/logs/clone_PERP12R.log echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: htaieb1
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)							     [nmh-1.5]							     INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)