Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting choose random text between constant string.. using awk? Post 302394979 by sandwich on Sunday 14th of February 2010 06:06:56 AM
Old 02-14-2010
Thank you very much Scrutinizer.... this helped me a lot...

Code:
awk '/%/{p++;next}p==1{print}' infile

Last edited by Scott; 02-14-2010 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

'strlen' of a constant string

In a declaration, I have: const char comment_begin = "<!--"; const char comment_end = "-->"; const int comment_begin_len = strlen(comment_begin); const int comment_end_len = strlen(comment_end); When I compile, I get the warnings: emhttpc.c:64: warning: initializer element is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to extract text between two constant strings

Hi, I have a file from which i need to extract data between two constant strings. The data looks like this : Line 1 SUN> read db @cmpd unit 60 Line 2 Parameter: CMPD -> "C00071" Line 3 Line 4 SUN> generate Line 5 tabint>ERROR: (Variable data) The data i need to extract is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two specified "constant" texts using awk

Hi All, From the title you may know that this question has been asked several times and I have done lot of Googling on this. I have a Wikipedia dump file in XML format. All the contents are in one XML file i.e. all different topics have been put in one XML file. Now I need to separate them and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to choose random columns

Hello! Can anybody suggest about the fastest way of extracting "n" random columns from a very large file (tab separated) having thousands of columns, where n can be any specified number. Thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mira
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve awk: line 1: runaway string constant error?

Hi All ! I am just trying to print bash variable in awk statement as string here is my script n=1 for file in `ls *.tk |sort -t"-" -k2n,2`; do ak=`(awk 'FNR=='$n'{print $0}' res.dat)` awk '{print "'$ak'",$0}' OFS="\t" $file n=$((n+1)) unset ak doneI am getting following error awk:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
7 Replies

7. Programming

String Constant C

I wonder string constant exists permanently or temporary. For example, printf("hello, world"); the function printf access to it is through a pointer. Does it mean storage is allocated for the string constant to exist permanently in memory? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris26
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that will random choose an IP address

Hi, I need to write a bash script that will random choose and login into these below ip addresses. 192.168.116.130 192.168.116.131 192.168.116.132 192.168.116.133 I'm new into scripting and I need to enhance my logic. Below is what i did ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Milon
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)