Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Goto each directory and subdirectories and grep the required pattern Post 302391686 by imas on Tuesday 2nd of February 2010 07:50:31 AM
Old 02-02-2010
Goto each directory and subdirectories and grep the required pattern

Hi All,

I need your help in finding pattern from files present in different directories.

I need to search for a pattern "xyz" from "*.txt" files which are present in different levels of directories as shown.

example
-------

dir1/subdir1/file.txt
dir2/subdir2/subsubdir2/file.txt
dir3/subdir3/file.txt
dir4/subdir4/subsubdir4/subsubsubdir4/file.txt
dirn/...

If the pattern xyz is found in dir2... and dir3.. then i want the result saved as shown.

result.txt
---------
dir2/subdir2/subsubdir2
dir3/subdir3

The only static value is extension of file name (.txt) apart from this the directory names and file names can change in future.

Appreciate your help in Advance.

Thanks
imas.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefiles in a directory and subdirectories

I need to develop a makefile that spans across directories. For example, let's say i have an upper level directory (main) and about 2 subdirectories. I want my .cpp files and .o files to be in one subdirectory. I want my .a files to be in the other subdirectory. The .a files are made up of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benjie_asu
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Can I Make Subdirectories In A Directory?

I cant remember how, i use to know but its been like 2 years since ive used shell can anyone help me? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep required pattern and next 2 or 3 lines

dear ones pl.kindly help me 1) how to print(grep) required pattern and following 2 or 3 lines. 2) grep required pattern(to print)+above 2 lines+below 2 or 3 lines.from a report file. ex: we have some report file kf askfjsk fksaj fk skf sjfksjd kff sjfkjs kf jskdjfklsd jfklsdf sdkfjsd fsd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvvsnm
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Goto last visted directory

Dear All, Can any one pls let me the command for how to goback to previous visited directory from the current working directory in SunOS ? In case of HP-UX; the same can be resolved through "cd -" command. Thanks in advance! Prasanth Babu. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanth_babu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying subdirectories of a directory to some other directory and renaming them

Hi, I am a newbie in shell scripting. I have to copy a particular sub-directory (data) from a large no. of directories (all in the same folder) and paste them to another directory ( /home/hubble/data ) and then rename all the subdirectories (data) as the name of its parent directory. please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sholay
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern from different file and display if it exists in the required file

Hi, I have two files say xxx.txt and yyy.txt. xxx.txt is with list of patterns within double quotes. Eg. "this is the line1" "this is the line2" The yyy.txt with lot of lines. eg: "This is a test message which contains rubbish information just to fill the page which is of no use. this is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk/sed/grep with goto statement!

Hi, I have an array with characters and I am looking for specific character in that array and if those specific character not found than I use goto statment which is define somehwhere in the script. My code is: set a = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#a}) if ($a != "F" || $a != "D")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to process file from a directory and grep the required content and print

Hi All, below script reads the perticular files from the directory. Am trying to fetch status and print them in the required format. It needs to read line and search for string "Passed/Failed" and print them under correct sub header. script : BASE_DIR=/tmp/test/REPORT/CollectReport #... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk : to grep only required pattern disk

Hi Experts, Need help with the following: Desired output: Only want to get the output marked in green. The file: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/disk/disk4704 PV Status available Total PE 6399 Free PE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)