Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Check the value of a string variable Post 302391673 by dpc.ucore.info on Tuesday 2nd of February 2010 06:41:54 AM
Old 02-02-2010
Just use it with or without exclamation mark. It's just a negation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a string in the variable

hi, I have a variable var1 as follows in the script. var1="one two three desformat=PDF xyz" I would like to check whether $var1 has a string "desformat=PDF" or not. Is there any command I can use (not need to creat a file)? Currently, I am using this: if ( grep "desformat=PDF"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josephwong
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check whether variable number or string

I am passing an argument to a file and i wanna check whether the argument is a number or string ? how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

check if a variable contains a string

hi I have an if condition that states: if ; then exit how to translate this? $x is a path $y is a string that comes at the end of the path thx (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check a particular element in a string variable

Hi, I have a string variable containing value say abc123 I want to check if the 3rd element of this string is "c" in a if statement.Actually i dont know the syntax of how to use substring in an if statement in shell script. Please reply soon. Regards Navjot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotsingh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell: check the content of a string of a variable

hello, i have a variable which should have following content : var="value1" or var="value2" or var="value2:*" # example: value2:22 how can i check : - if the content is ok (value1 / value2* ) - the two options of "value2" when content is example "value2:22" , i want to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file for string existence before appending it with string

I want to append file with a string but before doing that i want to check if this string already exist in that file.I tried with grep on Solaris 10 but unsuccessful.Man pages from grep seems to suggest if the string is found command status will be 0 and if not 1.But i am not finding it.May be i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
menu_mark(3CURSES)					     Curses Library Functions						menu_mark(3CURSES)

NAME
menu_mark, set_menu_mark - menus mark string routines SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmenu -lcurses [ library... ] #include <menu.h> int set_menu_mark(MENU *menu, char *mark); char *menu_mark(MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
menus displays mark strings to distinguish selected items in a menu (or the current item in a single-valued menu). set_menu_mark() sets the mark string of menu to mark. menu_mark() returns a pointer to the mark string of menu. RETURN VALUES
menu_mark() returns NULL on error. set_menu_mark() returns one of the following: E_OK The routine returned successfully. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error. E_BAD_ARGUMENT An incorrect argument was passed to the routine. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), menus(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <menu.h> automatically includes the headers <eti.h> and <curses.h>. SunOS 5.10 31 Dec 1996 menu_mark(3CURSES)