Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file editing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file editing Post 302391634 by ultimatix on Tuesday 2nd of February 2010 04:50:26 AM
Old 02-02-2010
MySQL

hey hi

You can try uniq filename which removes duplicate lines /words from the file.

Alternately you can try

# uniq filename >> new_filename

~Ultimatix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing the end of the file without loading the entire file

hi! I am a newbee. I would really appreciate if you can answer the following question: I have a huge data file, 214MB with several coloumns. I need to delete the very last line of the file. Everything I know takes a lot of time to do it ( because I have to open the file in an editor or run a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garuda
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing file

Hi, I am in a situation wherein am getting file file certailn values suppose 1u56979hhghhklklkkkjkjkjk 0 0 0 The file will have values like above only. I need to add another field of NULL value(of length 9) at the end of first column i.e. It should like this after editing:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul303
4 Replies

3. Linux

file editing

I have created a file with vi -x (file name) this is encrypted file when i again open this file it ask me to enter a password before editing it.Can i remove this password but i don't want to delete a file how to do this. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambavaram
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing a File

Hi all, I have a file with following contents # rad124 # radkus # raddebug # radtrace I could like to remove the # and space present before the key word "rad". Any ways to do this using "subsitution method(:%s/old/new/g)" will be hepful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkriz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file editing while keeping file format intact

Hi, I am having a file which is fix length and comma seperated. And I want to replace values for one column. I am reading file line by line in variable $LINE and then replacing the string. Problem is after changing value and writing new file temp5.txt, formating of original file is getting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mruda
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in editing a file

I have a file which has 10 million records in it. When am trying to edit the file with vi, the following error occurs: ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "file1" Value too large for defined data type Is there any way that I can edit this file without using vi? Any help would be really appreciated.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File editing

Hi All, I've to edit the below file in the Current File: XXX Rows found with null for one or more non-nullable columns in the source table SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ( SELECT 1 as one FROM datum WHERE:wall: datum.ID IS NULL ) a (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udayakumar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Editing

Never mind!. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies
aclsort(3C)															       aclsort(3C)

NAME
aclsort() - sort an Access Control List (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The routine sorts JFS Access Control List (ACL) entries into the correct order to be accepted by the acl(2) system call. points to a buffer containing ACL entries; if non-zero, indicates that the permissions should be recalculated; and specifies the number of ACL entries in the buffer. sorts the contents of the ACL buffer as follows: Entries will be in order and Entries of type and will be sorted in increasing order by numeric ID. The call will succeed if all of the following are true: There is exactly one entry each of type and There is at most one entry each of type and Entries of type or may not contain duplicate entries. A duplicate entry is one of the same type containing the same numeric id, irrespective of permission bits. If the argument is zero and there are no entries of type and no entries of type the permissions of the and entries must be the same. If there are no entries of type and no entries of type and the entry is specified, then the entry must also be specified, and the permissions of the and entries must be the same. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, the return value is 0. If there are duplicate entries, the return value is the position of the first duplicate entry. If there is more than one entry of type or they are treated as duplicate entries, and the return value is the position of the first duplicate entry. For all other errors, the return value is -1. NOTICES
The buffer is sorted by type and ID before checking for any failures. Therefore the buffer is always sorted, even if there is a failure. The position of a duplicate entry returned on failure is not the byte offset of the duplicate entry from its base; rather it refers to the entry number of the duplicate entry within the sorted buffer. Checks will be performed in order of entry type. If there are multiple failures, the failure returned will be the first encountered, for example, if the ACL buffer contains a duplicate entry and does not contain an entry, the return value will be the first duplicate entry. ACLs do not have to be sorted with prior to passing them to acl(2). DEPENDENCIES
is supported only on JFS file systems on the standard HP-UX operating system. AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T. SEE ALSO
acl(2), aclv(5). aclsort(3C)