Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash with: if, elif & regex not working Post 302389727 by cyler on Monday 25th of January 2010 04:39:56 PM
Old 01-25-2010
bash with: if, elif & regex not working

Why is only hello3 being printed? There must be some kind of syntax problem because the file list definitely includes all the file extensions line by line.

PHP Code:
#!/bin/bash

find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F
do
    if [[ 
"$F== '*.txt.c' ]] # if the file name ends in .txt.c

then

echo hello1
    elif 
[[ "$F== '*.c' && "$F!= '*.txt.c' && "$F!= '*.xml.c' ]] # if the file name does end in .c but not in txt.c nor .xml.c

then

echo hello2

else # is this else necessary ?

echo hello3
    fi
done 

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed regex grouping not working?

Hello, from the gnu sed manual, I should be able to do this: `\(REGEXP\)' Groups the inner REGEXP as a whole, this is used to: * Apply postfix operators, like `\(abcd\)*': this will search for zero or more whole sequences of `abcd', while `abcd*' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to remove text before&&after comma chars

Hi, all: I have a question about "cleaning up" a huge file with regular expression(s) and sed: The init file goes like this: block1,blah-blah-blah-blah,numseries1,numseries2,numseries3,numseries4 block2,blah-blah-blah-blah-blah,numseries,numseries2,numseries3,numseries4 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yomaya
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH regex (convert from working perl version)

Hi there, I need to test that a variable ($VAR) matches a regex mask in BASH. I have the exact thing working in perl (below), but could somebody advise me how i would do the same in BASH ? do i need to use something like egrep ? #!/bin/perl -w my $VAR = "some value"; if ( $VAR =~... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Awk expressions working & not working

Hi, Putting across a few awk expressions. Apart from the last, all of them are working. echo a/b/c | awk -F'/b/c$' '{print $1}' a echo a/b/c++ | awk -F'/b/c++' '{print $1}' a echo a/b/c++ | awk -F'/b/c++$' '{print $1}' a/b/c++ Request thoughts on why putting a '$' post double ++... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a regex using egrep not working

Hi, I'm trying to validate if a string matches a regular expression, but it is not working. Am I missing something? Do I need to scape any of the characters? if echo 'en-GB' | egrep '({1,8})(-{1,8})*' >/dev/null; then echo Valid value fi Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrtxao
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gsub regex not working

I have a number of files that I pass through awk/gsub. I believe to have found a working regex and on 'test bed' sites it matches, however within gsub it does not. Examples: Initial data: /Volumes/Daniel/Public/Drop Box/_Hellsing_Ultimate_OVA_-_10_.mkv gsub & regex: gsub("\]+\]","" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknownn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex not working

I am using a regex to exactly match a string abcdef as ^abcdef$. But it does'nt seem to work :( (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make working this regex in perl?

Hello to all, The Regex below is supposed to match all strings except RR45. I've tested in regex101.com and it works, butwhen I try to use it with the perl command below I get the error shown. Regex=(?<=^|RR45)(?!RR45).+?(?=RR45|$) How to fix this? I'm using Cygwin. $ echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
9 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux