Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C system() how to send the output to an array?? Post 302387967 by blowtorch on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 03:33:49 AM
Old 01-19-2010
system(3) does a fork and exec, to put it simply. You might want to look at popen(3), which returns a FILE pointer that allows you to read output from or write input to the command that you're executing.

Edit: Aaaand I just noticed that pludi has suggested exactly the same thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can we send arguments to system() call

Hi friends my C code is int main() { system("cp <source> <destination>"); } my question is how to set variables for <source> and <destination> how can we pass it to system() call. can you suggest me thankyou kingskar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingskar
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To send a message to another system

How to send a message to another unix terminal along with the date specified (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send message to a remote system

I am analyzing snoop output and want to send "Hello world" to a remote system. I want to see if the message received is encrypted or not. can I use ping to send a text message? like ping "helloworld" <IP Addr> Please help. Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
5 Replies

4. Solaris

how to send the output

Hi, how to send the output of a command directly to a file. For eg: am issuing metastat -a. How to send the output of this command to a file as well as mail. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Pre-populating an array from system command output

So, here's a scenario that requires the same logic as what I'm working on: Suppose that you have a directory containing files named after users. For awk's purposes, the filename is a single field-- something parse-friendly, like john_smith. Now, let's say that I'd like to populate an array in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

System Output in to an Array or variable

hey guys in only new to scripting as such, but i have a problem. i want to take the output of a search i do in the command line to then be in a variable but only a certain part of the output. this this what im doing: -bash-2.05b$ ldapsearch -x '(dn:=dc)' dc|grep dc= # base... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmorey
1 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

iostat output vs TPC output (array layer)

Hi Guys, I've been having some arguments with my colleagues about one thing. Always my thought was that as as far as disk performance is concern by looking at the output of the iostat command (AIX) you would be able to identify if you have a hot disk and then by moving some files out that disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Reading Array And Send An Email

I am trying to find an example for reading an array instead of reading a file and send out an email in ksh. Can you please help is that possible? Algorithm #!/bin/ksh i=0 set -A ARR if then let i=$ ARR="A does n't match with B" fi if then let i=$ ARR="P does n't match with Q"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send files automatically to a remote system

Greetings, basically what I want to do is take the standard error from a cron file and store it on a file in a remote host (from Solaris to Linux). I want to create a cron file to do this everyday or put it on a script that will send it everyday to the other system (that doesnt matter). Any ideas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: picolin
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want query output to send on mail using table tag and output should be in table

#! /bin/ksh #] && . ./.profile 2>/dev/null if test -f '.profile'; then . ./.profile; fi; #. .profile LOG_DIR=/app/rpx/jobs/scripts/just/logs sendEmail() { pzCType="$1"; pzTitle="$2"; pzMsg="$3"; pzFrom="$4"; pzTo="$5"; pzFiles="$6"; pzReplyTo="$7" ( ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit.mca.aaidu
21 Replies
popen(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  popen(3)

Name
       popen, pclose - initiate I/O to/from a process

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

FILE *popen(command, type)
       char *command, *type;

pclose(stream)
       FILE *stream;

Description
       The arguments to are pointers to null-terminated strings containing respectively a shell command line and an I/O mode, either "r" for read-
       ing or "w" for writing.	It creates a pipe between the calling process and the command to be executed.  The  value  returned  is  a  stream
       pointer that can be used (as appropriate) to write to the standard input of the command or read from its standard output.

A stream opened by should be closed by which waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the exit status of the command.

Because open files are shared, a type "r" command may be used as an input filter, and a type "w" as an output filter.

Diagnostics
       The routine returns a null pointer if files or processes cannot be created, or the shell cannot be accessed.

The routine returns -1 if stream is not associated with a `popened' command.

Restrictions
       Buffered reading before opening an input filter may leave the standard input of that filter mispositioned.  Similar problems with an output
       filter may be forestalled by careful buffer flushing, for instance, with For further information, see

The routine always calls and never calls

See Also
       sh(1), pipe(2), wait(2), system(3), fclose(3s), fopen(3s)

popen(3)