Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete new lines based on search criteria Post 302387908 by jayarkay on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 12:05:57 AM
Old 01-19-2010
Delete new lines based on search criteria

Hi all!

A bit of background: I am trying to create a script that formats SQL statements. I have gotten so far as to add new lines based on certain match criteria like commas, keywords etc. In the process, I end up adding newlines where I don't want.

For example: substr(colName, 1, 10) becomes:
substr(colName,
10) - I don't want this particular comma to be replaced with a newline.

With that in mind, my questions are:

1. Is there a way I can ignore the commas within braces - ( )
2. If not, how can I delete the newlines on lines starting with numbers, i.e. look for numbers at the beginning of a line and remove the newline before it.

In other words, if my input is:
substr(colName,
10)

my output should be: substr(colName, 1, 10).

Any help is really appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Jay.

---------- Post updated 01-19-10 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous update was 01-18-10 at 11:13 PM ----------

Another thing I forgot to mention: can I make the script intelligent enough to recognize negative numbers as well? Another example along the lines of the substr above is:

add_months(somedate, -6)
is becoming
add_months(somedate,
-6).

Don't want this to happen either.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select records based on search criteria on first column

Hi All, I need to select only those records having a non zero record in the first column of a comma delimited file. Suppose my input file is having data like: "0","01/08/2005 07:11:15",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005" "0","01/08/2005 07:12:40",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove lines based on score criteria

Hi guys, Please guide for Solution. PART-I INPUT FILE (has 2 columns ID and score) TC5584_1 93.9 DV161411_2 79.5 BP132435_5 46.8 EB682112_1 34.7 BP132435_4 29.5 TC13860_2 10.1 OUTPUT FILE (It shudn't contain the line ' BP132435_4 29.5 ' as BP132435 is repeated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append specific lines to a previous line based on sequential search criteria

I'll try explain this as best I can. Let me know if it is not clear. I have large text files that contain data as such: 143593502 09-08-20 09:02:13 xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx 09-08-20 09:02:11 N line 1 test line 2 test line 3 test 143593503 09-08-20 09:02:13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesse
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search & delete located criteria

Guys, I manages to get awk to search and print the files that I want to delete. However I am stuck on the delete portion. Here is the command that I am using to fins these files. find /usr/local/apache/conf/vhosts/ -type f | awk '/e$/' The output is perfect. The files look like so: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on specific search criteria

I have a huge file (about 2 millions records) contains data separated by “,” (comma). As part of the requirement, I can't change the format. The objective is to remove some of the records with the following condition. If the 23rd field on each line start with 302 , I need to remove that from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaygamini
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Lines based on criteria

Hello, Need help with following scenario. A file contains following text: {beginning of file} New: This is a new record and it is not on same line. Since I have lost touch with script take this challenge and bring all this in one line. New: Hello losttouch. You seem to be struggling... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: losttouch
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines from a file based on a criteria

Hi I need to select lines from a txt file, I have got a line starting with ZMIO:MSISDN= and after a few line I have another line starting with 'MOBILE STATION ISDN NUMBER' and another one starting with 'VLR-ADDRESS' I need to copy these three lines as three different columns in a separate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlcm sam
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need To Delete Lines Based On Search Criteria

Hi All, I have following input file. I wish to retain those lines which match multiple search criteria. The search criteria is stored in a variable seperated from each other by comma(,). SEARCH_CRITERIA = "REJECT, DUPLICATE" Input File: ERROR,MYFILE_20130214_11387,9,37.75... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying section of file based on search criteria

Hi Guru's, I am new to unix scripting. I have a huge file with user details in it(file2) and I have another file with a list of users(file1). Script has to search a user from file1 and get all the associated lines from file2. Example: fiel1: cn=abc cn=DEF cn=xyx File 2: dn:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samingla
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate row based on criteria

Hi, I have an input file as shown below: 20140102;13:30;FR-AUD-LIBOR-1W;2.495 20140103;13:30;FR-AUD-LIBOR-1W;2.475 20140106;13:30;FR-AUD-LIBOR-1W;2.495 20140107;13:30;FR-AUD-LIBOR-1W;2.475 20140108;13:30;FR-AUD-LIBOR-1W;2.475 20140109;13:30;FR-AUD-LIBOR-1W;2.475... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies
getdgrp(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       getdgrp(1M)

NAME
getdgrp - lists device groups which contain devices that match criteria SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/getdgrp [-ael] [criteria]... [dgroup]... DESCRIPTION
getdgrp generates a list of device groups that contain devices matching the given criteria. The criteria is given in the form of expres- sions. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Specifies that a device must match all criteria to be included in the list generated by this command. The option has no effect if no criteria are defined. -e Specifies that the list of device groups on the command line should be excluded from the list generated by this command. Without the -e option the named device groups are included in the generated list. The flag has no effect if no devices are defined. -l Specifies that all device groups (subject to the -e option and the dgroup list) should be listed even if they contain no valid device members. This option has no affect if criteria is specified on the command line. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: criteria Defines criteria that a device must match before a device group to which it belongs can be included in the generated list. Specify criteria as an expression or a list of expressions which a device must meet for its group to be included in the list generated by getdgrp. If no criteria are given, all device groups are included in the list. Devices must satisfy at least one of the criteria in the list. However, the -a option can be used to define that a "logical and" operation should be performed. Then, only those groups containing devices which match all of the criteria in a list will be included. There are four possible expressions types which the criteria specified in the criteria argument may follow: attribute=value Selects all device groups with a member whose attribute attribute is defined and is equal to value. attribute!=value Selects all device groups with a member whose attribute attribute is defined and does not equal value. attribute:* Selects all device groups with a member which has the attribute attribute defined. attribute!:* Selects all device groups with a member which does not have the attribute attribute defined. See putdev(1M) for a complete listing and description of available attributes. dgroup Defines a set of device groups which should be included in or excluded from the generated list. Device groups that are defined and which contain devices matching the criteria are included. If the -e option is used, this list defines a set of device groups to be excluded. When the -e option is used and criteria is also defined, the generated list will include device groups containing devices which match the criteria and are not in the command line list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion of the task. 1 Command syntax was incorrect, invalid option was used, or an internal error occurred. 2 Device table or device group table could not be opened for reading. FILES
/etc/device.tab /etc/dgroup.tab ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devattr(1M), getdev(1M), putdev(1M), putdgrp(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 getdgrp(1M)