Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Doubt on Linux console
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Doubt on Linux console Post 302387452 by rmenn on Friday 15th of January 2010 11:07:46 PM
Old 01-16-2010
Rogerben

I am going to guess you are using a Dell Drac interface to shutdown the server. Both Cold Boot and Reset System does not perform a graceful shutdown of the system.

If the system is responsive i suggest that you use the momentary press which will initiate the shutdown process in a most systems.

If the system is hung or in a panic you can 'Press and hold' and then 'momentary press' to bring up your system

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up linux to Console

How do i start linux without going straight into X window enviroment, but into the console instead, and also, how do i get back in ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stealthdestroyr
2 Replies

2. Linux

Why is linux console window in VMWare so small?

I install linux in VMWare, but Its console window is too small, Its size is 80*25, I can't change it even though I use full srceen mode in VMWare.How can I do? please help me! Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChaoZhang
3 Replies

3. Linux

Doubt about programs for testing Linux performance

Hello friends, I'm working on a Thesis and right now I'm in a phase of comparing a Linux vs Windows performance in similar situations on the same machine. I'm asking here because I would like help on this, since I've always worked in Linux as an Administrator and a user, never as a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Linux console

Dear All, I have some Linux Servers in Data Center. I can access those servers through Telent or Putty. But If i want to work on the console I cannot do that. How to configure Console access for my Linux Server , So that I can work on the Console if it goes in to Single User mode. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

6. Programming

Linux kernel code syntax doubt

I have found some definitions as below, can anyone explain me what it means and why it is being used this way please. asmlinkage void __sched schedule(void) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

doubt in NFS mounted filesystem in linux

Hi, I have some filesystem which is nfs mounted and shared to other servers. Nfs server name= nfsserver (here filesystem is locally mounted) server name where filesystem is shared = sharedserver1 and sharedserver2 filesystem which is shared = /filesystem1 when i am checking utilization by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to iSCSI boot from linux console?

I need boot any images from iSCSI and I'd like to boot from linux console of a previous LiveCD booted. Is possible, without gpxe, ipxe firmware or similar? With a simple iSCSI initiator for example? You (accidentally?) posted in the Homework-section of the forum, where special rules apply. If... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spark2k06
0 Replies

9. Linux

Linux extacting msg from script to console

how to get the outout from script to console. i am running one script msg.sh using cron job every suday midnight. as soon as i logged in i want to see the staus is service started or service failed on console. what command i need to add to script ? msg.sh #!/bin/bash if then echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saku
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the messages from the script to console in Linux?

msg.sh #!/bin/bash if then echo "starting service" else echo " service not started" echo " Please check the start.sh file or manuly start the service" fi if i login with root credentials @12.36.34.123 with passwd username:root passwd:abc once i login into linux pc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
6 Replies
halt(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  halt(1M)

NAME
halt, poweroff - stop the processor SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/halt [-dlnqy] /usr/sbin/poweroff [-dlnqy] DESCRIPTION
The halt and poweroff utilities write any pending information to the disks and then stop the processor. The poweroff utility has the machine remove power, if possible. The halt and poweroff utilities normally log the system shutdown to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and place a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), about who executed halt. -n Prevent the sync(1M) before stopping. -q Quick halt. No graceful shutdown is attempted. -y Halt the system, even from a dialup terminal. FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx History of user access and administration information. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dumpadm(1M), init(1M), reboot(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), inittab(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The halt and poweroff utilities do not cleanly shutdown smf(5) services. Execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. SunOS 5.10 2 Nov 2004 halt(1M)