Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C socket issue with SMTP
Top Forums Programming C socket issue with SMTP Post 302385516 by Corona688 on Friday 8th of January 2010 10:16:00 AM
Old 01-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess83
Alright good to know, I tried as you said and it seems to work like the program pass the commands to the SMTP however it returns an error 501 (invalid characters or command) so im assuming its because strcpy is copying the \0 nul character at the end of the line and send it too...
It's not. strlen() doesn't count the null in its length. It needs a null to work anyway, a string's not a string without it!

Code:
strcpy(buffer, "MAIL FROM: test@primustel.ca)";

I'm shocked this even compiles. Anyway that's plainly not what you intended.

I think mail servers need their commands finished with \r\n, not just \n.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SMTP - emailing issue

We are running an application engine program that sends email to a list of users. In our Test Env, users are able to receive the emails but in our Prod environment, they do not. We are running the same program, and using the same stmp config. any idea on how to troubleshoot? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
3 Replies

2. Programming

Performance issue with C++ ,Socket

Hi all, I am facing some problem in Socket programming(C++ & Solaris 5.0).I am using socket as basic connecting point & MEP(Mesagae Exchange Protocol) as high level protocol to send & receive Message & ACK, between two different system. MEP is a protocol through which you can send MSG... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amartya_sock
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

4. Programming

which socket should socket option on be set

Hi all, On the server side, one socket is used for listening, the others are used for communicating with the client. My question is: if i want to set option for socket, which socket should be set on? If either can be set, what's the different? Again, what's the different if set option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blademan100
1 Replies

5. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

6. Linux

SMTP issue

HI, I am having an issue with the mail. I had certain scripts who used to send mails. now i am not getting the mails as usual. need help to track the issue and resolve. mailx -s "Testing for details" xxx@yyy.zzz above code is used for mailing. can yoou please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyniladri
2 Replies

7. Programming

perl socket issue

Hi I am teaching myself perl and am writing a socket application to get experience. I am using Eclipse with the EPIC plugin to run the code in debug mode. I think that sometimes the script is not releasing the port if I terminate it in debug mode as I am occasionally getting the message: - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

9. Solaris

OutBound SMTP Server Mail issue

Hi all I have a Live SMTP server for outbound mails ( Mail being sent from my organization to outside domains). A large chunk of mails are not being sent and reside in /var/spool/mqueue directory. The header of there mails are: From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> How can I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
0 Replies

10. Solaris

NIS/smtp services issue on Solaris 11

Hi, Few services not starting on new build Solaris 11 non-global zone. I uninstalled zone and reinstalled and still same issue, while global zone is working fine. smpt service is going into maintenance mode and /var/svc/log/network-smtp:sendmail.log shows that it tries and then dead ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)