Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Reading Daylight Saving Time in Linux using C/C++ Post 302382534 by suryaemlinux on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 02:12:36 PM
Old 12-23-2009
Reading Daylight Saving Time in Linux using C/C++

Hi folks,
I would like to read the start date and end date of the Daylight Saving Time for the given timezone in the given year. What's the function in C/C++ to read the start of the Daylight Saving date and end of Daylight saving date?

I'm using Linux 2.6.xx Kernel.

For Example, in Pacific Time (US & Canada) the Daylight Start date for the year 2009 is Mar 9,2009 and it ended on Nov 1, 2009. I need a C/C++ function to read these dates.

Thanks in Advance,
Surya

Last edited by suryaemlinux; 12-23-2009 at 03:18 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timestamp - confusion with daylight saving time

Hello! I'm currently working on a climatological dataset that uses unix-timestamp and a real date like 28/03/2004 02:45:00 h. in spring the unix-timestamp follows its continuos mode but in the column of the real date the time jumps one hour forward (e.g. from 1:59:59 to 3:00:00). i think this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: softmachine
1 Replies

2. Solaris

disable daylight saving

hi ... i have an E450 sun server that is running solaris 6 . i want to disable daylight savings on my server . My question is : 1) how to know that my server is running daylight savings ? 2) how to disable it ? my zoneinfo file contains the following # @(#)init.dfl 1.2 92/11/26 # #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. AIX

Daylight Saving Time patch test

On AIX 5.1, after applying a DST patch or workaround, is there a way to test that the DST changes have taken effect? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to set the Daylight Saving Time (DST) OFF

I have a problem with the time so I need to set the DST to be OFF. is anybody can show me how to set the DST to be OFF? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Billy_yuli
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Daylight saving not working properly with linux-2.6. kernel

The daylight saving action is not working Time zone was set for that Australia(parth) and issued reboot. Now for DST, (Daylight Saving Time): For 29 Oct 2006 (sunday) day, if set time is 1:59:00 than after 1 minute it will become 3:00:00 as per DST . This was found to be happening.i.e DST... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subratasaharia
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Daylight saving not working properly with linux-2.6. kernel

The daylight saving action is not working Time zone was set for that Australia(parth) and issued reboot. Now for DST, (Daylight Saving Time): For 29 Oct 2006 (sunday) day, if set time is 1:59:00 than after 1 minute it will become 3:00:00 as per DST . This was found to be happening.i.e DST... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subratasaharia
1 Replies

7. Linux

How to configure daylight saving time

Hi, I have few doubt on daylight saving. Can any one clarify the below points. 1) How to configure daylight saving(DLS) time ? 2) How to query DLS ? 3) If i set DLS(say some how) will it be autometically changed or user has to manually change system time ? I got few info on net about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokd001
3 Replies

8. Linux

How does Linux handle DST ( daylight saving time)?

Hello Can sombody please tell me how linux handles DST ( daylight saving time) ? Does the time change instantly , ex: if is is 3'o clock does linux instantly swich to 2'o clock ? plese give more info about this toppic (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martonlorand
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 Daylight Saving Time

Hello, Quick question: How do I verify if my Solaris 11 hosts/zones, configured with NTP, would change automatically to the DST? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
1 Replies
GETTIMEOFDAY(2) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   GETTIMEOFDAY(2)

NAME
gettimeofday, settimeofday - get / set time SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/time.h> int gettimeofday(struct timeval *tv, struct timezone *tz); int settimeofday(const struct timeval *tv , const struct timezone *tz); DESCRIPTION
The functions gettimeofday and settimeofday can get and set the time as well as a timezone. The tv argument is a timeval struct, as speci- fied in /usr/include/sys/time.h: struct timeval { long tv_sec; /* seconds */ long tv_usec; /* microseconds */ }; and gives the number of seconds and microseconds since the Epoch (see time(2)). The tz argument is a timezone : struct timezone { int tz_minuteswest; /* minutes W of Greenwich */ int tz_dsttime; /* type of dst correction */ }; The use of the timezone struct is obsolete; the tz_dsttime field has never been used under Linux - it has not been and will not be sup- ported by libc or glibc. Each and every occurrence of this field in the kernel source (other than the declaration) is a bug. Thus, the following is purely of historic interest. The field tz_dsttime contains a symbolic constant (values are given below) that indicates in which part of the year Daylight Saving Time is in force. (Note: its value is constant throughout the year - it does not indicate that DST is in force, it just selects an algorithm.) The daylight saving time algorithms defined are as follows : DST_NONE /* not on dst */ DST_USA /* USA style dst */ DST_AUST /* Australian style dst */ DST_WET /* Western European dst */ DST_MET /* Middle European dst */ DST_EET /* Eastern European dst */ DST_CAN /* Canada */ DST_GB /* Great Britain and Eire */ DST_RUM /* Rumania */ DST_TUR /* Turkey */ DST_AUSTALT /* Australian style with shift in 1986 */ Of course it turned out that the period in which Daylight Saving Time is in force cannot be given by a simple algorithm, one per country; indeed, this period is determined by unpredictable political decisions. So this method of representing time zones has been abandoned. Under Linux, in a call to settimeofday the tz_dsttime field should be zero. Under Linux there is some peculiar `warp clock' semantics associated to the settimeofday system call if on the very first call (after boot- ing) that has a non-NULL tz argument, the tv argument is NULL and the tz_minuteswest field is nonzero. In such a case it is assumed that the CMOS clock is on local time, and that it has to be incremented by this amount to get UTC system time. No doubt it is a bad idea to use this feature. The following macros are defined to operate on a struct timeval : #define timerisset(tvp) ((tvp)->tv_sec || (tvp)->tv_usec) #define timercmp(tvp, uvp, cmp) ((tvp)->tv_sec cmp (uvp)->tv_sec || (tvp)->tv_sec == (uvp)->tv_sec && (tvp)->tv_usec cmp (uvp)->tv_usec) #define timerclear(tvp) ((tvp)->tv_sec = (tvp)->tv_usec = 0) If either tv or tz is null, the corresponding structure is not set or returned. Only the super user may use settimeofday. RETURN VALUE
gettimeofday and settimeofday return 0 for success, or -1 for failure (in which case errno is set appropriately). ERRORS
EPERM settimeofday is called by someone other than the superuser. EINVAL Timezone (or something else) is invalid. EFAULT One of tv or tz pointed outside your accessible address space. NOTE
The prototype for settimeofday and the defines for timercmp, timerisset, timerclear, timeradd, timersub are (since glibc2.2.2) only avail- able if _BSD_SOURCE is defined (either explicitly, or implicitly, by not defining _POSIX_SOURCE or compiling with the -ansi flag). CONFORMING TO
SVr4, BSD 4.3 SEE ALSO
date(1), adjtimex(2), time(2), ctime(3), ftime(3) Linux 2.0.32 1997-12-10 GETTIMEOFDAY(2)