Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD
Operating Systems Linux Fedora FreeBSD Post 302381841 by Celtic_Monkey on Monday 21st of December 2009 05:29:23 AM
Old 12-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro
You will probably want to enable dual boot on your machine and leave Windows on one and install FreeBSD on the other. It is a secure way to install FreeBSD and quite possibly the only way to answer your ulterior question.
Agreed.

I like FreeBSD - very stable. Not just for servers either. Has a tremendous amount of packages available - In my view a great package management system and one of the best (again in my view) documentation sets available inc. the forums.

It's 50 / 50! Development lags somewhat behind linux in some respects (not quite so bleeding edge) but is ahead of the game in others.

From what you've said in your OP, it's going to be a learning curve for you whatever you choose. FreeBSD is no more difficult to learn than any other form of *nix. you get out of it what you put in.

Last edited by Celtic_Monkey; 12-21-2009 at 06:38 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with FreeBSD!!!

Hi I want to write to my output_file using: if((fptr = creat(output_file, _S_IWRITE)) == -1) { printf("output_file..."..); return (1); } for(...) { _write(fptr, buffer, BUF_SIZE); } It says "_S_IWRITE" undeclared!!! Anybody knows what function I can use for that and what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacasa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

What is FreeBSD, who does use Free? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberangel
3 Replies

5. BSD

FreeBSD 5.2.1

I want someone tell me the positives and negatives points of FreeBSD 5.2.1, if someone help me, i thanks a lot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
4 Replies

6. BSD

I want the Best FREEBSD

B]I want the best of the best FreeBSD version for my study in Unix...please sugest me... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
5 Replies

7. BSD

Having problem with FreeBSD 5.3

I just download the FreeBSD 5.3 i386 iso files. And I have a problem now, I can't copy the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso to the cd, I try a lot of times, even change lots of blank cd to try but still cannot. But I can copy the other three iso files, i.e. 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarbageKing
4 Replies

8. BSD

please help me in FreeBSD

Hi to all, Iam doing a project in Free BSD and i am stuck with a puzzle. Please any one of you clarify my doubt : How to add a mechanism to check the status of the file system which alerts the root user via. email if any single partition is greater than 90% full. This alert should include the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadakamalla
3 Replies

9. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies
BHYVELOAD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      BHYVELOAD(8)

NAME
bhyveload -- load a FreeBSD guest inside a bhyve virtual machine SYNOPSIS
bhyveload [-c cons-dev] [-d disk-path] [-e name=value] [-h host-path] [-m mem-size] vmname DESCRIPTION
bhyveload is used to load a FreeBSD guest inside a bhyve(4) virtual machine. bhyveload is based on loader(8) and will present an interface identical to the FreeBSD loader on the user's terminal. The virtual machine is identified as vmname and will be created if it does not already exist. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -c cons-dev cons-dev is a tty(4) device to use for bhyveload terminal I/O. The text string "stdio" is also accepted and selects the use of unbuffered standard I/O. This is the default value. -d disk-path The disk-path is the pathname of the guest's boot disk image. -e name=value Set the FreeBSD loader environment variable name to value. The option may be used more than once to set more than one environment variable. -h host-path The host-path is the directory at the top of the guest's boot filesystem. -m mem-size [K|k|M|m|G|g|T|t] mem-size is the amount of memory allocated to the guest. The mem-size argument may be suffixed with one of K, M, G or T (either upper or lower case) to indicate a multiple of Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes or Terabytes respectively. The default value of mem-size is 256M. EXAMPLES
To create a virtual machine named freebsd-vm that boots off the ISO image /freebsd/release.iso and has 1GB memory allocated to it: bhyveload -m 1G -d /freebsd/release.iso freebsd-vm To create a virtual machine named test-vm with 256MB of memory allocated, the guest root filesystem under the host directory /user/images/test and terminal I/O sent to the nmdm(4) device /dev/nmdm1B bhyveload -m 256MB -h /usr/images/test -c /dev/nmdm1B test-vm SEE ALSO
bhyve(4), nmdm(4), vmm(4), bhyve(8), loader(8) HISTORY
bhyveload first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0, and was developed at NetApp Inc. AUTHORS
bhyveload was developed by Neel Natu <neel@FreeBSD.org> at NetApp Inc with a lot of help from Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
bhyveload can only load FreeBSD as a guest. BSD
January 7, 2012 BSD