Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD
Operating Systems Linux Fedora FreeBSD Post 302381741 by figaro on Sunday 20th of December 2009 08:24:29 AM
Old 12-20-2009
You will probably want to enable dual boot on your machine and leave Windows on one and install FreeBSD on the other. It is a secure way to install FreeBSD and quite possibly the only way to answer your ulterior question.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with FreeBSD!!!

Hi I want to write to my output_file using: if((fptr = creat(output_file, _S_IWRITE)) == -1) { printf("output_file..."..); return (1); } for(...) { _write(fptr, buffer, BUF_SIZE); } It says "_S_IWRITE" undeclared!!! Anybody knows what function I can use for that and what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacasa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

What is FreeBSD, who does use Free? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberangel
3 Replies

5. BSD

FreeBSD 5.2.1

I want someone tell me the positives and negatives points of FreeBSD 5.2.1, if someone help me, i thanks a lot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
4 Replies

6. BSD

I want the Best FREEBSD

B]I want the best of the best FreeBSD version for my study in Unix...please sugest me... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
5 Replies

7. BSD

Having problem with FreeBSD 5.3

I just download the FreeBSD 5.3 i386 iso files. And I have a problem now, I can't copy the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso to the cd, I try a lot of times, even change lots of blank cd to try but still cannot. But I can copy the other three iso files, i.e. 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarbageKing
4 Replies

8. BSD

please help me in FreeBSD

Hi to all, Iam doing a project in Free BSD and i am stuck with a puzzle. Please any one of you clarify my doubt : How to add a mechanism to check the status of the file system which alerts the root user via. email if any single partition is greater than 90% full. This alert should include the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadakamalla
3 Replies

9. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)