Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with echo
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with echo Post 302380680 by mac4rfree on Wednesday 16th of December 2009 02:44:42 AM
Old 12-16-2009
Help with echo

Hi Guys,

I need to print a value in the same line , But when we use the echo instead the loops (while), the value goes to the next line..

Can you help me in this..

Thanks For your help in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo

what is the meaning of this echo $description | wc -m` -ne "1" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: debasis.mishra
0 Replies

2. Solaris

echo help...

Hi anyone know... ID1=1234 ID2=2345 ID3=3456 count=1 while do echo $(ID$count) --> i would like the out put to be 1234 count=$((count + 1)) done exit 0 if i would like to echo ID1 then it will should 1234567. how should i echo like this would not works -> echo $(ID$count) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerpeh
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo

Is there a way to get echo to make newlines without using any type of quotes? I've done a lot of searches and went into my Linux book to no avail. I'm trying to write five separate lines to a file. I can get echo to accept all five lines like this echo \ \this is line 1\ \this is line 2\ >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trekker182
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo !.

can someone tell me what does this code do? echo !. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo

Hello, I'm working with ksh. I was working with the echo command That is echo "Today is $date" which would show for example Toady is 7/12/12 which was fine however, know I only recieve the first part of the echo without the date. Today is Could I have edited the echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JD_Sal
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between echo `ls -l` and echo "`ls -l`" ?

Hi guys, Been messing around with shell programming for a couple of days and I found something that was pretty odd in the behavior of the echo command. Below is an example-: When I type the following in my /home directory from my lxterminal in Debian-: echo "`ls -l`" I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)