Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gdm restart infinitely
Operating Systems BSD gdm restart infinitely Post 302378598 by bsdtux on Tuesday 8th of December 2009 04:36:49 PM
Old 12-08-2009
So are you saying that you don't get a login prompt? Or is this happening when you logout of your X session. When you start gdm from bootup gdm is set to respawn. Assuming this is in regards to booting up to gdm then logging out I believe you can tell it not to respawn in the /etc/inittab file. or /usr/local/etc/inittab can't remember off the top of my head.

---------- Post updated at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:54 AM ----------

ok so I just got it installed and actually I was wrong you can modify the ttys by editing /etc/ttys

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Turn off GDM boot-up?

I remember I could boot from terminal and then log into gnome as I pleased with Ubuntu. And since ubuntu derives from Debian I figured I would be able to do the same. Don't knwo shich file to edit though... /Richard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing gdm on mac os x tiger

I was installing gdm on the terminal application and my ISP disconnected. When I reconnected and tried to continue the installation, I got the following message: Waiting for lock on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianzen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to log into gdm, urgent help needed!!!pls

Hi all, I was playing around with some scripts and spoilt solaris completely .. So i reinstalled and thought of giving the password once i log in... However i forgot all about it and went ahead installing all my drivers and particularly KDE 3.5.8 on my system.. But for kde to show up at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ldap+samba+gdm trouble

I'm having troubles setting up a client(with Ubuntu 8.10) for a ldap+samba server. I can't authenticate through the client with gdm, the messages I have in /etc/auth.log at the client is Dec 4 14:21:56 myuser-mydesktop gdm: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://192.168.0.1: Invalid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: capibolso
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to verify xdm/gdm or dtlogin is setup to be used by the system

Hi All, I was going through a UNIX system administration handbook and while reading found the below sentence "init is also responsible for spawning graphical login systems such as xdm,gdm, or dtlogin if the system is et up to use them" My question is,how to verify on a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_ananthu
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Changing an image between grub and GDM Login

Sorry. I know this has been asked before but I am not finding anything that works and after a couple of days I am getting frustrated. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 i386 I know how to change the Grub menu image. I have the login screen image and theme changed as well with GDM. What I am trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nix_Cola
2 Replies

7. Debian

Gnome session reverts back to gdm on login.

Hi everyone. I just had a quick problem. I'm not too familiar with linux yet, otherwise I'd have this figured out by now. I recently did the Debian 5lenny7 update with the standard debian update manager. After getting all installed and rebooted, I tried to login to my account again. Every... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runfaj
3 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Repeat part of script infinitely ?

I currently have this script: "%IMG%compare" -metric RMSE %SRC% %SUB% -subimage-search found.png 2>co.txt set /p xycos= <co.txt set str=%xycos% echo.%str% set str=%str:,=+% ECHO %str% > co.TXT set /p xycos= <co.txt set str=%xycos% echo."%str%" set str=%str: =% ECHO %str% > co.TXT set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
2 Replies
gdm-restart(1m) 						   User Commands						   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)