Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Directory size larger than file system size? Post 302378195 by sparcman on Monday 7th of December 2009 07:54:31 AM
Old 12-07-2009
Thanks for your reply DukeNuke2. If the proc file system is dynamically generated, will it still effect the size of the / file system? My / file system now reports 100% full. Do I need to reboot in order to clear down the /proc file system?

Also this doesn't explain why the file system with the Oracle Temp file read 64GB and the 20GB file system reported 7GB free? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ger.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. AIX

file system size

Dear ALL Today I faced one problem in the file system, during invoking the command #df -k , I saw /usr reached to 95% Used, could any one give advice ? thanks & regarded (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: magasem
7 Replies

3. Programming

how to get the file system size

I have the next code, and the output is incosistent, what is the problem: free blocks: 1201595 block size: 4096 total size(free blocks * block size): 626765824 1201595 * 4096 not is 626765824, what's the problem??? #include <sys/statvfs.h> #include <stdio.h> int main(){ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucaxvu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size of file and directory

Hello. I do have a problem. The statement sounds like this: Given a directory, find all subdirectories (regardless of depth) which contain a file that has more than a half of the size of the respective subdirectory. I've tried to solve this in many ways, but all I came up with is half... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WorkOfArt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

9. Programming

Size of a directory or a file

Hello, Here is my code: :~$ truncate -s 16M MyTestFile.txt :~$ du -h MyTestFile.txt 4,0K MyTestFile.txt Q1: Please why du -h does not work in this case ? Q2: Other than "du -h", how can i get the size of a directory (using linux command) Thanks a lot. Best Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Expect script for pulling log files size larger than 500Mb;

I am new at developing EXPECT scripts. I'm trying to create a script that will automatically connect to a several UNIX (sun solaris and HPUX) database server via FTP and pull the sizes of the listener/alert log files from specified server directory on the remote machines. 1. I want the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikebantor
7 Replies
VMSTAT(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 VMSTAT(8)

NAME
vmstat - Report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [-n] [delay [ count]] vmstat[-V] DESCRIPTION
vmstat reports information about processes, memory, paging, block IO, traps, and cpu activity. The first report produced gives averages since the last reboot. Additional reports give information on a sampling period of length delay. The process and memory reports are instantaneous in either case. Options The -n switch causes the header to be displayed only once rather than periodically. delay is the delay between updates in seconds. If no delay is specified, only one report is printed with the average values since boot. count is the number of updates. If no count is specified and delay is defined, count defaults to infinity. The -V switch results in displaying version information. FIELD DESCRIPTIONS
Procs r: The number of processes waiting for run time. b: The number of processes in uninterruptable sleep. w: The number of processes swapped out but otherwise runnable. This field is calculated, but Linux never desperation swaps. Memory swpd: the amount of virtual memory used (kB). free: the amount of idle memory (kB). buff: the amount of memory used as buffers (kB). Swap si: Amount of memory swapped in from disk (kB/s). so: Amount of memory swapped to disk (kB/s). IO bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s). bo: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s). System in: The number of interrupts per second, including the clock. cs: The number of context switches per second. CPU These are percentages of total CPU time. us: user time sy: system time id: idle time NOTES
vmstat does not require special permissions. These reports are intended to help identify system bottlenecks. Linux vmstat does not count itself as a running process. All linux blocks are currently 1k, except for CD-ROM blocks which are 2k. FILES
/proc/meminfo /proc/stat /proc/*/stat SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1) BUGS
Does not tabulate the block io per device or count the number of system calls. AUTHOR
Written by Henry Ware <al172@yfn.ysu.edu>. Throatwobbler Ginkgo Labs 27 July 1994 VMSTAT(8)