Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: touch help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting touch help Post 302377393 by dinjo_jo on Friday 4th of December 2009 01:15:07 AM
Old 12-04-2009
Thanks , the man help looked totalling confusing to me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Function

I would like to "touch" all of the files in all of my directories. Instead of typing touch *.* in each directory, how would have unix touch all files in all of my directories? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a025321
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

hello everyone i am new to this forum and was wondering if you all could help me out.... i am looking for a touch command that can touch directories as well as files that does not involve sygwin... any and all help would be appreiciated :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OrthoProof USA
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command help

Hi, This might be the stupidest question ever but here it goes, i need to create a file with the name Hello! It's $s It using the touch command but whenever i use touch 'Hello! It's $s' i get s is undefined touch Hello! It's $s i get ' unmatched Please help ^_^ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch

why am i unable to change the timestamp on a file I'm getting the following error on AIX. touch: cannot change times Any help is appreciated. Regards, Ram. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch and permission

Hi All, I have requirement to give permission to empty file. I do it in two steps. But is it possible using touch command with some option for providing permission for a file. Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on touch command

Hi all I changed some of my files in my hoem directory to old dates using the touch command like this touch -t 200805101024 file name but after using this command the date changed properly but it displays like below -rwxr--r-- 1 fincntrg fingrp 193619 May 10 2008 vi.pdf I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Touch Command

Hello, I am trying to use touch command to create 1200 .txt files. I am using this, but it is not working. touch `seq 1 1200`.txt Regards, Siddhesh.K (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with touch and timestamps

Hello fellow Unix geeks, I have been given a very urgent assignment in my office on writing a particular Shell script but I'm very much new to it.I would appreciate any help from you on solving this problem--which might seem very trivial to you. The Unix flavour is a Sun Solaris one..(not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Digjoy83
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Challenge

I've been given a directory full of subdirectories full of logfiles of the same name: /logfiles/day1/file1/blockednodes.csv day1-14 file1-48 The above is the actual directory structure for 14 days worth of a logfile that is generated every 30 minutes. It's been done this way to preserve the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
15 Replies
TOUCH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch -- change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-acfhm] [-r file] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] file ... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the modification and access times of files to the current time of day. If the file doesn't exist, it is created with default permissions. The following options are available: -a Change the access time of the file. The modification time of the file is not changed unless the -m flag is also specified. -c Do not create the file if it does not exist. The touch utility does not treat this as an error. No error messages are displayed and the exit value is not affected. -f Attempt to force the update, even if the file permissions do not currently permit it. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the times of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. Note that -h implies -c and thus will not create any new files. -m Change the modification time of the file. The access time of the file is not changed unless the -a flag is also specified. -r Use the access and modifications times from the specified file instead of the current time of day. -t Change the access and modification times to the specified time. The argument should be in the form ``[[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]'' where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If ``YY'' is specified, but ``CC'' is not, a value for ``YY'' between 69 and 99 results in a ``CC'' value of 19. Otherwise, a ``CC'' value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 1 to 12. DD the day of the month, from 1 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 0 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 0 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 0 to 61. If the ``CC'' and ``YY'' letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the ``SS'' letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. DIAGNOSTICS
The touch utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
utimes(2) COMPATIBILITY
The obsolescent form of touch, where a time format is specified as the first argument, is supported. When no -r or -t option is specified, there are at least two arguments, and the first argument is a string of digits either eight or ten characters in length, the first argument is interpreted as a time specification of the form ``MMDDhhmm[YY]''. The ``MM'', ``DD'', ``hh'' and ``mm'' letter pairs are treated as their counterparts specified to the -t option. If the ``YY'' letter pair is in the range 39 to 99, the year is set to 1939 to 1999, otherwise, the year is set in the 21st century. HISTORY
A touch utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. STANDARDS
The touch utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD