Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep: can't open /usr/dict/words Post 302374727 by Rajakct84 on Wednesday 25th of November 2009 09:34:05 AM
Old 11-25-2009
grep: can't open /usr/dict/words

Hi All,

If I use the "/usr/dict/words" inside the shell script, It is showing the error as,

grep: can't open /usr/dict/words

How can we resolve it?

Thanks & Regards,
Raja

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find words with grep....

I have a .txt file which contains several lines of text. I need to write a script program using grep or any other unix tool so as to detect part of the text (words) between / / that begin with the symbol ~. For example if somewhere in the text appears a webpage address like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisxgr
8 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

(lmgrd) Can't open /usr/tmp/.flexlm/lmgrdl.4081, errno: 24

We are a tool vendor and one of our users is getting this error. The user is using several macrovision(FLEXLM) license enabled products including ours. (lmgrd) Can't open /usr/tmp/.flexlm/lmgrdl.4081, errno: 24 At this time, it stops checking out licenses, and will not respond to query's.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Three Words

I have been trying to find files containing the words AAA, BBB and CCC. I tried: grep AAA `grep BBB files*` grep CCC files* but is does not work I tried several ways this is an easy one but I am a dummy, Does anyone can help me? Thanks :( (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: murbina
12 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: can't open the file - Error Messages while rebooting

I have an X4500 server running solaris 10 and when I reboot my system it displays the following errors messages. Could someone help me with this ??? NOTICE: pci8086,1011 - e1000g : Adapter 100Mbps full duplex copper link is up. Nov 8 17:41:46 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: can't open the file Nov 8... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
2 Replies

5. Solaris

messages error can not open module /usr/lib/security/pam_unix_session.so.1

Hi, I always receive the following intermittent error on the /var/adm/messages, can someone help me please on what to do and what to check for these errors to disappear? What can be the problem with my ftp? Please see details of solaris below. Thanks in advance! SunOS 5.10 Generic_127111-08... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for words in file

Hi Please can you help me on this: How to grep for multiple words in a file, BUT for every word found output it to a new line. regards FR (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep words from txt

Queue on node in domain description : type : local max message len : 104857600 max queue depth : 5000 queue depth max event : enabled persistent msgs : yes backout threshold : 0 msg delivery seq :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the words with space between?

see I have a text like: 27-MAY 14:00 4 aaa 5.30 0.01 27-MAY 14:00 3 aaa 0.85 0.00 27-MAY 14:00 2 aaa 1.09 0.00 27-MAY 14:00 5 aaa 0.03 0.00 27-MAY 14:00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot open module /usr/lib/security

Dear All After powering on my Netra120 Solaris server and waiting for all of the installed processes to be started , when trying for login I am getting : "can not open module /usr/lib/security/pam_authtok_get.so.1" Can you please let me know what has happened to my server and how can I reach... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A quick help on python dict

Hi Team, I'm new to python and working on a project. I have an API call which returns a dict(got the dict.values() and converted to list) as shown below: dict_values() Any clue, how can I get only offset values, in deed I need a sum of those. I can write a "shell sed command" inside python... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
2 Replies
american-english-small(5)					   Users' Manual					 american-english-small(5)

NAME
american-english-small - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/american-english-small is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 american-english-small(5)