Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Dell PowerEdge 2600 tape backup Post 302374524 by ezlarry on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 07:18:56 PM
Old 11-24-2009
Many thanks for the complete and fast reply!

This production system has not been available for me to reboot and view post messages. Would the post messages also be logged in /usr/adm/messages ? (I forgot to look there)

---------- Post updated at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:14 PM ----------

I was prepared to carry out the mkdev tape operation, but was not able to since I could not reboot the production system. But I have a question about the procedure I found as (shown below): does mkdev tape perform the re-link since it rebuilds the kernel?

# mkdev tape
Pick 1) Install a Tape Drive
Pick 4) Install SCSI Tape Drive
Pick Yes Do you wish to configure the SCSI Tape Drive now? (y/n?)
Pick 0-7 What is the ID of the controller for this device?
Pick 0 or 1 Which SCSI host adapter supports this device?
Pick 0 What is the LUN of this device? Always enter 0 for the LUN.

You will then see:
The following special devices have been created:
/dev/rStp# /dev/nrStp# /dev/xStp#
Press <Return> to Continue.

The original Tape Drive Configuration Program menu will then be displayed.
Press "q" to quit and you will be asked:

You must create a new kernel to affect the driver change you specified.
Do you wish to create a new kernel now? (y/n)

Choose "y" and you will see the message:

The UNIX Operating System will now be rebuilt.
This is take a few minutes. Please wait.

Root for this system build it /.

This will take a few minutes and then you will be asked:

Do you want this kernel to boot by default? (y/n)

Again, answer "y".

Next you will be asked:

Do you want the kernel environment rebuilt? (y/n)

Again, answer "y".

When you receive a root prompt, shut the system down and reboot to
activate the new kernel.

You are now ready to use your tape drive.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Dell Dual Xeon PowerEdge 4600

Notes: System Configuration: Dell Computer Corporation PowerEdge 4600 (4 X Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.00GHz 1988.782 MHz) hyperthreaded System clock frequency: 99.0827 MHz Memory size (approximate): 2559 Megabytes ========================= CPUs ======================== CPU # CPU... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
0 Replies

2. Linux Benchmarks

Dell Poweredge 2400 / 533

CPU/Speed: Dual PIII 533 Ram: 256Mb PC133 Motherboard: Unknown, Intel Chipset Cache: 256k on board Controller: PARC Raid 2/Si, AIC-7880U Disk: 30Gb RAID 5 Load: 1 user. Clean boot, init 5 but X-Windows not loaded. Kernel: See Benchmarks. pgms: gcc 3.2.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garp
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10 on Dell PowerEdge 2800

hi, i am trying to install solaris 10 (on 4 cd's downloaded from the sun website) on my dell poweredge 2800 server. 2 xeon processors, 2GB of RAM and 2 NICS, 73 GB SCSI (maxtor ultra320, 3.5 series), i can give more details on request... the installation crashes when trying to detect the NICS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinugeek
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Installing RedHat 8.0 onto Dell PowerEdge SC1425 - hdc: status error: status = 0x58

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive. Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across both hard drives from CD: ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
5 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Linux and Dell 1500sc Poweredge Server

Does anybody no how to get around the fact that the Red Hat installation does not see the SCSI hard drives. It lets you manually pick the proper device, but still fails saying no drive detected (or something to that effect). I was going to install windows 2003 Server and use VMware...but again,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fatflea
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stange problem Dell PowerEdge 1950/ Boradcom Netextreme NIC

I have 2 Dell Poweredge 1950 servers running . I have been having intermittent performance issues with the NIC cards on one of them. The two servers are identical and are running the same operating system. The server that has the issue is on the DMZ on a a static IP and is hosting a website. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
0 Replies

7. SCO

Continueing relyability problems with SCO 6.0 on Dell Poweredge 1800 with PERC DC4.

Hello all, I'am experiencing weird relyability problems with a SCO 6.0 Openserver server that runs on a Dell Poweredge 1800 equipped with a PERC DC4 raid controller and 4 36 GB 15 K rpm hot swappable scsi harddisks. It runs a RAID 10 configuration. It uses the mega hba, Revision 8.03a Release... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frederik1
1 Replies

8. Programming

/dev/mem on Dell Poweredge

Hi, I have a C++ program to access /dev/mem and retrieve details like Vendor, Manufacturer details of the motherboard. This works fine on all the machines except for on Dell Poweredge 2850,1950... machines. I receive a 'EFAULT' when I try to access /dev/mem on these servers. I suspect some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragisreekanth
1 Replies
BACKUP_APROPOS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)

NAME
       backup_apropos - Displays each help entry containing a keyword string

SYNOPSIS
       backup apropos -topic <help string> [-help]

backup ap -t <help string> [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup apropos command displays the first line of the online help entry for any backup command that has in its name or short
       description the string specified by the -topic argument.

To display the syntax for a command, use the backup help command.

OPTIONS
       -topic <help string>
	   Specifies the keyword string to match, in lowercase letters only.  If the string is more than a single word, surround it with double
	   quotes (" ") or other delimiters.

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The first line of a command's online help entry names it and briefly describes its function. This command displays the first line for any
       backup command where the string specified with the -topic argument is part of the command name or first line.

EXAMPLES
       The following example lists all backup commands that include the word "tape" in their names or short descriptions:

% backup apropos tape
	  labeltape: label a tape
	  readlabel: read the label on tape
	  scantape: dump information recovery from tape

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       None

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), backup_help(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)