Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Order file by lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Order file by lines Post 302374420 by nj78 on Tuesday 24th of November 2009 11:37:32 AM
Old 11-24-2009
I would leave out the "head -1" unless you have some parent loop or something like that.

Also perhaps add the -prune option so you are not viewing subdirs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove duplicate lines of a record without changing the order

Hi all, I have to remove duplicate lines in a file without chainging the order.for eg if i have a record pqr def abc lmn pqr abc mkh hgf the output should be pqr def abc lmn mkh hgf (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi.roy03
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep lines in the particular order?

Hi guys, I am stuck on a simple issue but couldn't find a simple solution. If you have any ideas please help. I have two files : - FILE1 Tue 09/12 Lindsey Wed 09/13 Randy Thu 09/14 Susan Fri 09/15 Randy Sat 09/16 Lindsey Sun ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep lines with specific words up in an order

I hava a file with following data: number|CREDIT_ID|NULL date|SYS_CREATION_DATE|NULL varchar2|GGS_COMMIT_CHAR|NULL varchar2|GGS_OP_TYPE|NULL number|GGS_SCN|NULL| number|GGS_LOG_SEQ|NULL number|GGS_LOG_POS|NULL number|GGS_ORACREC_SCN|NULL varchar2|BATCH_ID|NULL char|GGS_IMAGE_TYPE|NULL ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kolesunil
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to swap order of pairs of lines?

This seems to be a question whose answer uses sed or awk. For a file like: a b c d e How to swap the order of the line pairs, to end up with: b a d c e All lines from the original file need to wind up in the output file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rd5817
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print selected lines from file in order

I need to extract selected lines from a log file, I can use grep to pull one line matching 'x' or matching 'y', how can I run through the log printing both matching lines in order top to bottom. i.e line 1 xyz - not needed line 2 User01 - needed line 3 123 - not needed line 4 Info - needed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosslm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting lines between patterns in alphabetical order

Hi, need help in sorting lines between strings "<section status = “ole-service”>" and "</section>" in alphabetical order, based on the text in red. Hoping for an AWK or SED solution. Thank you. ... <section status = “ole-service”>... <p service = "OOO">XZZ</p> <p service = "AAA">AAA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File w/ many line pairs--how do I order based on 1st lines only?

I have a file in which the data is stored in pairs of lines. The first line (beginining with ">") is a header, the second line is a sequence. I would like to sort the file by species name. Desired output for the example file: I can use sort -t'_' -k2 to alphabetize headers in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Consolidate several lines of a CSV file with firewall rules, in order to parse them easier?

Consolidate several lines of a CSV file with firewall rules Hi guys. I have a CSV file, which I created using an HTML export from a Check Point firewall policy. Each rule is represented as several lines, in some cases. That occurs when a rule has several address sources, destinations or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: starriol
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with order lines from a file based on a pattern

Hi I need to order these lines from a txt file my file looks like this IMSI ........................ 1234567890 APN ......................... INTERNET.COM APN ......................... MMS.COM APN ......................... WAP.COM APN ......................... BA.COM IMSI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alone77
4 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)