Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check process running Status with PID Post 302372427 by dennis.jacob on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 02:21:34 AM
Old 11-18-2009
Try:

Code:
ps -ef | grep -q process_name
echo $?   # will be 0 if found, or else non-zero value

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check status of a PID

i'm just learning scripting, and have been banging my head against this I want to check if my WAS6 java process is running and if so..echo me a messages. If not then echo me a different messages the problem i have is I dont know how to represent a NULL return value. If i grep for a was6... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check the status of the processes running for the current user?

Hi All, I am new to unix. Can anyone tell me "How to check the status of the processes running for the current user?" Regards, Ravindaran S (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravind27
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the details of the previously running process with PID

OS: Unix or Linux I (only) know the pid of the process which was running earlier (say 5 hrs back) but it is not running now. Is there a way I could find the details of that process? (atleast the name of the process). Please let me know. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay.d
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check the process Status and do something

Hi we have weblogic deployed under Linux Enterprise 5 . Now i want to write a script that checks if weblogic is running or not I have found that weblogic uses Java as process . Can i do this way : my Script File : Echo Checking Status if then echo Server Running else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the process status

Hi, I have a cron job which runs every ten minutes, now i hav to check the process whether it is running or not only once and then this should be sent to a log file.. crontab : 00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * a process check ps = 'ps -ef |grep a ' if then echo " Success" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

7. Linux

Check up the status of a Script (running or not)

Hello, i allready search on google und here in the local Forum, but can't found something. I need a query in php, that check whether a process (script) is running or not. Like this: php query: /usr/bin/Script01 >> if runnig, then: "Script01 is Online", if not "Script01 is Offline" I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProTechEx
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check process status

Hi Team, I am using redhat 6.4 version server.We have a script which is used to check the process and sends email if the process is not running.If it is running it will continue and do some other operation. I didnot understand below option -z in the if condition.I have tried to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check status of process

Hi All, Have a query How to check for a process and if down start it , try if for 2 times and its not starting don't do it My code is working to some extent but while starting try starting both times. Please advise , whats wrong here ? if you have any other approach please do share. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pid file and process check

Hello, I am running ubuntu14.04 What I am trying to do is restart a process with a shell when pid is dead. I restored pid nr in a file and check with ps aux | grep -v grep | grep $(cat *.pid)| awk '{ print $2 }' While surfing on google, I have found an answer saying that restoring pid in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)						  systemd-notify						 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)

NAME
systemd-notify - Notify service manager about start-up completion and other daemon status changes SYNOPSIS
systemd-notify [OPTIONS...] [VARIABLE=VALUE...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-notify may be called by daemon scripts to notify the init system about status changes. It can be used to send arbitrary information, encoded in an environment-block-like list of strings. Most importantly, it can be used for start-up completion notification. This is mostly just a wrapper around sd_notify() and makes this functionality available to shell scripts. For details see sd_notify(3). The command line may carry a list of environment variables to send as part of the status update. Note that systemd will refuse reception of status updates from this command unless NotifyAccess= is set for the service unit this command is called from. Note that sd_notify() notifications may be attributed to units correctly only if either the sending process is still around at the time PID 1 processes the message, or if the sending process is explicitly runtime-tracked by the service manager. The latter is the case if the service manager originally forked off the process, i.e. on all processes that match NotifyAccess=main or NotifyAccess=exec. Conversely, if an auxiliary process of the unit sends an sd_notify() message and immediately exits, the service manager might not be able to properly attribute the message to the unit, and thus will ignore it, even if NotifyAccess=all is set for it. systemd-notify will first attempt to invoke sd_notify() pretending to have the PID of the invoking process. This will only succeed when invoked with sufficient privileges. On failure, it will then fall back to invoking it under its own PID. This behaviour is useful in order that when the tool is invoked from a shell script the shell process -- and not the systemd-notify process -- appears as sender of the message, which in turn is helpful if the shell process is the main process of a service, due to the limitations of NotifyAccess=all described above. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --ready Inform the init system about service start-up completion. This is equivalent to systemd-notify READY=1. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --pid= Inform the init system about the main PID of the daemon. Takes a PID as argument. If the argument is omitted, the PID of the process that invoked systemd-notify is used. This is equivalent to systemd-notify MAINPID=$PID. For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --uid=USER Set the user ID to send the notification from. Takes a UNIX user name or numeric UID. When specified the notification message will be sent with the specified UID as sender, in place of the user the command was invoked as. This option requires sufficient privileges in order to be able manipulate the user identity of the process. --status= Send a free-form status string for the daemon to the init systemd. This option takes the status string as argument. This is equivalent to systemd-notify STATUS=.... For details about the semantics of this option see sd_notify(3). --booted Returns 0 if the system was booted up with systemd, non-zero otherwise. If this option is passed, no message is sent. This option is hence unrelated to the other options. For details about the semantics of this option, see sd_booted(3). An alternate way to check for this state is to call systemctl(1) with the is-system-running command. It will return "offline" if the system was not booted with systemd. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLE
Example 1. Start-up Notification and Status Updates A simple shell daemon that sends start-up notifications after having set up its communication channel. During runtime it sends further status updates to the init system: #!/bin/bash mkfifo /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --ready --status="Waiting for data..." while : ; do read a < /tmp/waldo systemd-notify --status="Processing $a" # Do something with $a ... systemd-notify --status="Waiting for data..." done SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.unit(5), sd_notify(3), sd_booted(3) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-NOTIFY(1)