Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: copy failing disk to Spare
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copy failing disk to Spare Post 302371851 by binlib on Monday 16th of November 2009 11:33:36 AM
Old 11-16-2009
ddrescue should do a better job than does dd.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with disk copy

I do not have a Unix machine, i do have a Linux machine.. i have a Unix boot disk that is essencial to my unit. Is there any way in Windows98 or Linux to make copies of this disk. So far i can't get either to read the disk. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deathsfriend
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vfstab on spare disk - HOW ? Mount ?

Hi, guys ! Could someone clarify one thing for me: I start machine from disk0, and want to check the /etc/vfstab on disk1. How do i do it ? Tried to write: cd / mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt But if I do cd /mnt, it is empty. I expected to see disk1 there ? Or am I wrong ? How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SCSI disk spare sectors

Is there a way to determine the number of available spare sectors on a disk ? as it may be useful for notifying a user to take a backup of the disk before it runs into a medium error. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rednex
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10: how to copy whole disk?

Hi, i have problems with my system disk (os solaris 5.10) and i'm wondering if there is any way to copy the whole disk to a new one, without reinstalling everything (so to do a mirroring)?? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprehodec
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Failing to write retrieve script for tape to disk conversion

I have the below script which has been written to retrieve files from tape drive i.e. TSM server. Now i have to write the script using UNIX commands for retrieve operation but I am not able to proceed. The script is: #!/usr/local/bin/expect -f set timeout 1800 set file spawn $env(SHELL)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrsaurav
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is in-core copy and disk-copy of i-node table?

I have found a question from the exercises of my study mat. The question is "Why are there a in-core copy and a disk-copy of i-node block and super block?" If any one know the proper answer then please send me..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help!! Failing HP-UX 11 system disk

Firstly, system setup - HP900 K460, 3 internal hard drives that make up the system volume group(vg00) no software mirroring HP-ux version 11.00 2 Nike 20 raid arrays attached, fully populated with 40 4gb hot swap drives(All used in production environment) I have 3 disks that make up my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rees_a
0 Replies

8. AIX

IBM SAN STORAGE HOT SPARE DISK

Hello, I have DS4000 IBM SAN Storage ( aka FastT Storage ) One of my disks has failed and I had a hot spare disk covering all the arrays. As the disk failed, immediately the hotspare disk took over the failed disk ( see the JPEG in the attachment ) My Question: How can I make the hotspare... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

10. AIX

Failing to add new NetApp disk AIX 7.1 - but no error

Hello, AIX 7.1 - several NetApp disks already running. Trying to install a new one. Storage folks provision it. I run cfgmgr - nothing. no new disks show up in "lsdev", "sanlun lun show" shows no new device. No errors, just nothing. Storage guys disconnect it and attaches to another aix server -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid
5 Replies
volreattach(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    volreattach(8)

NAME
volreattach - Reattaches disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volreattach [-rb] [accessname...] /usr/sbin/volreattach -c accessname OPTIONS
The volreattach utility has the following options: Calls the volrecover utility to attempt to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. Performs the reattach operation in the background. Checks whether a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. DESCRIPTION
The volreattach utility attempts to reattach disks using the same disk group and media names they had before detachment. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if some disk drivers are unloaded or unloadable when the Logical Storage Manager is started, causing disks to enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, the volreattach command can be used to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. The volreattach command is called from the voldiskadm menus as part of disk recovery. The volreattach utility tries to find a disk with a disk group and disk ID matching that of the disk(s) being reattached. If the matching disk is found, the reattach operation may still fail if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if it is possible to perform a reattach. Otherwise, non-zero is returned. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8), volrecover(8) volreattach(8)