Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Which IPs from the range are assigned to DHCP enabled clients Post 302370882 by tannu on Thursday 12th of November 2009 06:11:04 PM
Old 11-12-2009
DHCP server runs out of IPs

Hi all
When DHCP server assign a IP to dhcp enabled clients it reserve IPs for the time specified in the dhcp.conf file and I have set it to 24 hours.

Very often DHCP server runs out of IPs so is there a way to release the IP from the client which are not pingable or down?

Or is there a script to handle this situation?

Please let me know.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

st_san_safe enabled

$ uname -a HP-UX vfauh203 B.11.11 U 9000/800 486452371 unlimited-user license SCSI TAPE: dev = 0xcd520000 Failed open - st_san_safe enabled () is there any tools i can run to further investigate this err0r i received from syslog.log ? im new to hp-ux thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libchk
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Unix terminal re-assigned with wrong IP address from window's DHCP

Hi all, I have this problem that puzzles me, i have setup all the right DHCP configuration in Windows Server. The reservation IP address in windows for this specific unix terminal. However, when i rebooted the unix terminal the IP which was already assigned for this box somehow change to a total... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove the assigned value from the string

Hi I have the following assignment in my ksh script: PX_LIST="4119 2390 2294 2776 2897 4099" Is there any sed/awk command which would allow the to remove certain number from this string. Let's say I need to remove PX=2390 from PX_LIST, so the output after deletion will be" PX_LIST="4119 2294... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to ping a range of IPs

Hi Can someone give me a shell script that can ping a range of IPs and return IPs which are not pingable. Range for example say 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.50 and whichever are not pingable then return the IP. Thanks for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Get DHCP relay interfaces IP address using DHCP

Hi All , please view the set up below: ------------------------------------------------------------------- | DHCP Server |-----------| ROUTER & |-----------| Clients | | 192.168.99.1 | - -<eth1>| DHCP-RELAY|<eth2>-- | 192.168.88.X | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdangoor
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking range of ips

Given a range of IPs similar to this: "212.63.183.19","212.63.183.19","3560945427","3560945427","CN","China" "217.7.143.0","217.7.143.0","3641151232","3641151232","CN","China" "218.0.0.0","218.31.255.255","3657433088","3659530239","CN","China"... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

10. IP Networking

How to get IP of computer assigned by DHCP?

I have a computer at work with no control over the network settings. We have to pay for a static IP so that won't happen. I'm running an SSH server so I can connect back and analyze data when I'm sitting in boring classes. I want to know how to get the IP of this machine when I'm on the same... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: corrado33
8 Replies
DHCP-HELPER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    DHCP-HELPER(8)

NAME
dhcp-helper - A DHCP/BOOTP relay agent. SYNOPSIS
dhcp-helper [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
dhcp-helper is a DHCP and BOOTP relay agent. It listens for DHCP and BOOTP broadcasts on directly connected subnets and relays them to DHCP or BOOTP servers elsewhere. It also relays replies from the remote servers back to partially configured hosts. Once hosts are fully config- ured they can communicate directly with their servers and no longer need the services of a relay. OPTIONS
The only required option is at least one DHCP server to relay to. The simplest way to configure dhcp-helper on a router is just to give the interface to the network containing the DHCP server with a -b option. All the other interfaces present on the machine will then accept DHCP requests. On a machine which does not have an interface on the network containing the DHCP server, use a -s option instead. -s <server> Specify a DHCP or BOOTP server to relay to. The server may be given as a machine name or dotted-quad IP address. More than one server may be specified. -b <interface> Relay to a DHCP or BOOTP server using broadcast via <interface>. This eliminates the need to give a server address. <interface> is automatically added to the list of interfaces which will not receive DHCP requests. -i <interface> Specify which local interfaces to listen on for DHCP/BOOTP broadcasts. If no -i flags are given all interfaces are used except those specified by -e flags and those specified by -b flags. -e <interface> Specify which local interfaces to exclude. -p Use alternative ports (1067/1068) for the DHCP client and server. -v Report the software release version and copyright information. -d Debug mode, do not change UID, write a pid-file or go into the background. -r <file> Specify an alternate path for dhcp-helper to record its process-id in. Normally /var/run/dhcp-helper.pid. -u <username> Specify the userid to which dhcp-helper will change after startup. The daemon must normally be started as root, but it will drop root priviledges after startup by changing id to another user. Normally this user is "nobody" but that can be over-ridden with this switch. NOTES
Dhcp-helper requires a 2.2 or later Linux kernel. The "Linux packet filter" and "packet socket" facilities are not required, which is the chief advantage of this software over the ISC DHCP relay daemon. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Simon Kelley <simon@thekelleys.org.uk>. DHCP-HELPER(8)