Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grub customization
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Grub customization Post 302370789 by dday on Thursday 12th of November 2009 11:41:53 AM
Old 11-12-2009
Solved.....

After a lot of research, I realised that there are several flavors of GRUB and that when I installed 9.10, it replaced one flavor of GRUB for another. Instead of the menu being found in /boot/grub/menu.lst, it is a combination of entries in a startup script and in the file /boot/grub/grub.conf.

I've made my customizations and all is happy in the world.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

2. Linux

kickstart centOS 5.1 ---customization question

I am doing a centos 5.1 kickstart install for a school project and was wondering if there is a way to install a custom desktop background image.(upon 1st time logging into system) (instead of showing the default centos desktop background, it would show a custom image) Would i have to create a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nuGz
1 Replies

3. Programming

Java File Chooser customization

I am trying to add some other things onto the standard file chooser. I would like to have something like this at the bottom of the file chooser (underneath the Select and Cancel buttons). I will try to make this as legible as possible: File Name: File Type: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customization within UNIX/AIX

Hey guys I am sorry if this has been posted before but I have not been able to locate. How can I set up after I cd to a directory it displays above my command line after I enter into it? Also to get to the previous command I cannot press up on my keyboard it just moves up. How can I change... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koopa_Troopa
17 Replies

5. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Issue launching Websphere Customization ToolBox

I'm trying to configure IBM customization Tool Box but i'm facing the following issue don't know where i'm going wrong. CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core) 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64 run-level 3 xming is working Unhandled exception Type=Segmentation error vmState=0xd4c6046e... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
0 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)