Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script Post 302370628 by srkelect on Thursday 12th of November 2009 03:20:39 AM
Old 11-12-2009
Bug How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script

HI ,
Is there any way to return a value of variable from shell to perl script.

Code:
===
Perl file
my $diff1=system("sh diff.sh");
my $diff2=system("sh diff1.sh");

I need exit status of below commands

i.e 0 and 1 respectively.

Since in both the cases diff is working so system command will return 0 .

diff1.sh
-------
a=diff aaa ccc
diff.sh
--------
b=diff aaa bbb

122 $> cat aaa
1hi hello
123 $> cat bbb
hi hello
125 $ cat ccc
1hi hello

120 $ diff aaa ccc
echo $?

diff aaa bbb
1c1
< 1hi hello
---
> hi hello
Exit 1

echo $?

If i'll use backtick it'll return the diff output like below:
1c1
< 1hi hello
---
> hi hello

But I need script to return a value like 1 if it finds any diffrence between two files and 0 if it doesnot find any diffrence between two files .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use substr to return data into a shell script variable?

I'm writing a shell script in which I need to be able to pull a portion of the file name out. I'm testing with the following code: x="O1164885.DAT" y=`ls -ltr *${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}'` echo ${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}' echo "y="$y I can echo it to the screen just fine but I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttunell
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script variable to read shell command

Solaris 10 Korn shell ksh, Hi there, I have figured out to get yesterday's date which is using the below command: TZ=GMT+24; date +%d-%b-%Y to get the format of 30-Sep-2008 and TZ=GMT+24; date +%Y%m%d to get the format of 20080930. I need this two format. In my perl script below I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulkbiz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return value in shell script

im using bourne shell In file scriptA i add a new function, test_return() test_return() { a=1 return $a } when i try execute , a='/''/scriptA test_return echo $a its give me error.. scriptA: cannot return when not in function ist any solution for this problem.. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neruppu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get return value from PERL script calling from KSH

All: I am calling a PERL script from KSH. I need specific codes to be returned by the PERL Script. For ex: Ksh ----- result=`test.pl $FILE` My idea is to get the value of result from the test.pl, by specifically making the test.pl to print the return code. Since I had some other print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ucbus
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to return environment variable

HI , In the below script I am trying to return the value of the environment variable TIBCO_HOME to the caller #! /usr/bin/csh set VAR_NAME=$1 echo VAR_NAME On the aix console.. set to setenv TIBCO_HOME /app/tibco When I execute the script... myscript.sh TIBCO_HOME, the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return the value from the called shell script to the calling sh script

Hi all, I have two ksh scripts #sample1.sh #!/bin/ksh . ./sample2.sh echo $fileExist #sample2.sh #!/bin/ksh func() { i=1 return $a } func echo $? Here how should I return the value of sample2.sh back to sample1.sh? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gp_singh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning return value of an embedded SQL in a shell script variable

I've a script of the following form calling a simple sql that counts the no of rows as based on some conditions. I want the count returned by the sql to get assigned to the variable sql_ret_val1. However I'm finding that this var is always getting assigned a value of 0. I have verified by executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MxC
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return variable value from a script running in background

I have a script which runs a script in the background. Now the script running in background returns some variable value and i want to catch return value in the parent script. e.g. Parent Script : #!/bin/bash ./Back.sh & pid=$! echo "a=$a" echo "b=$b" echo "d=$((a+b))" wait $pid ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable from shell script in perl file

Hey, So I have a shell script that outputs some variables, call them $a and $b. I know in shell scripting if I wanted to use the variables in another shell script I'd do sh code.sh "$a" "$b" How can I do something similar with perl? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)