Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable? Post 302370594 by freddy1228 on Thursday 12th of November 2009 01:22:43 AM
Old 11-12-2009
How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all,

I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this:

echo $var1

name=fred
age=25
address="123 abc"
password=pass1234

how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info?

I mean do this in a simple way rather than

for line in $var1
do
varname=`echo $line | cut -f 1 -d '='`
varvalue=`echo $line | cut -f 2 -d '='`
eval $varname=$varvalue
done

I am looking for something like

. $var1 #I know it is wrong

and then...

echo $name # fred
echo $age # 25
echo $address # 123 abc
echo $password #pass1234

I cannot cat $var1 > tmpfile
. tmpfile
rm tmpfile

because the var1 contain sensitive info e.g. password

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by freddy1228; 11-12-2009 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: cannot delete

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep to Define a Variable

I am using korn shell unix. I have a script that I am working with to do a check for me using a text file. #finds "Time" from the text file and cuts the second field from the #line A= grep Time test.txt | cut -f2 # the "#Missing" is being pulled from the second field of the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cspcspcsp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

define length of variable

I have a variable with a value of "05". When I add one to that variable, using the command: CURR_YY=`expr $CURR_YY + 1`, I get the value of "6", losing the leading zero (which is needed for passing to another script). How do I keep the leading zero? Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarker
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest. Code Debug output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting value of variable whose name is stored in another variable

Unix OS : Linux 2.6x Shell type : Korn I am stuck in weird problem . In my shell script I am setting an environment variable using the following command : EMP="KUMARJIT"; export EMP In the following sections of the script , what I did is : I created and initialized a new shell variable "type"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable definition

Hi all, I'm bit new to the advanced bash shell scripting. When I'm looking at some of the existing code in my organization, got confused with a few variable definings. For ex: var1={1:-30} var2="abc def ghi" var3={xyz:-$var2} In above, 1st and last lines are confusing me.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable definition

I'm a bit confused about the term ‘environment variables'. Within your shell you can set two types of variables: 1. Shell variable - affecting functionality within your shell 2. User defined variable When using the ‘export' command on a variable you make sure it's being inherited by new sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels
2 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)