Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Platforms using Unix
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Platforms using Unix Post 302370562 by rbelk on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 08:53:37 PM
Old 11-11-2009
Is that a loaded question?

Just about every 16 or 32 system made from 1983 can run a variant of some type of UNIX or a UNIX work-alike OS. And even some 8bit systems can run a UNIX workalike system. I used to run OS/9 from Microware on a Cromeco system and my 64K Tandy COCO in 1984! The Cromeco had a 6809 8bit CPU and 256K of banked switched memory and a 10meg harddisk.

I've also administered UNIX SYSV or BSD on Amdahl 580 and IBM mainframes, SGI's, HP's, SUN, DEC systems, VAX's, Tandy 16's and numerous X86 systems. QNX on some medical equipment that had RISC processors, and one Z8000 system running some type of UNIX, I just can't remember what it was.

Also the FREE MINIX, Linux, and BSD distributions you can get on the Internet can run on just about everything imaginable, like NetBSD on my MP3 player or even our lovely Amiga systems!

Sorry for the rant, but it would probably be impossible to list all the systems that can run a variant of UNIX.

---------- Post updated at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:49 PM ----------

Here are some links that were on my old website for some odd ball UNIX variants, thought y'all might like 'em.

Last edited by rbelk; 11-11-2009 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: spelling, aaargh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zipping across platforms

I saw a few posts on this, however, I am getting an error and don't see this particular issue. Not right off anyways.... We moved from digital OS to solaris 9 in Jan. On the old platform, I could gzip my files, ftp them to my win2000 desktop via hummingbird and then unzip them to view. Now,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
8 Replies

2. Programming

How to get process name from process id in all Unix platforms?

Hi, i need to find the process name using the process id in C. This has to be done in HP, AIX, Solaris & Linux?? How can this be done? Is there any common solution to all platforms? On linux i have heard that /proc/<pid>/cmdline can be used. Is there a structure available to read this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: molu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Patch Management over mixed unix platforms

Does anyone know of any tools that manage the rollout of patches across multiple types of Unix platform ( eg Solaris, Aix etc ). I am looking for something that does a similiar job to SMS or WSUS in the Windows world (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Different Platforms on Solaris?

Does anyone know how Solaris organises different platforms? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc40
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running "df -k" on all UNIX platforms

Hi, I'm writing a wrapper that tells me the free space and percentage on some file systems. I need it to work on all UNIX and Linux platforms. Currently I'm thinking about a good regular expression that covers all platforms by using "df -k", but I'm not sure it's the best. It's a lot of work and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moshmosh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Platforms

Hi. Where can i learn, Which Unix platform specific for what? Properties? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Enrgy
1 Replies

7. Programming

How do I find the MAC address in C on different UNIX platforms?

I need to find the MAC address of the ethernet cards on the host machine from the C language. I have found a way to do this on Linux using socket(), ioctl() and the ifreq structure. But this does not seem to work on AIX, HP/UX and probably the others I need (Solaris, SCO, Alpha etc). Is there a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL (POSIX and NFSv4) Support over NFS shared drives on different Unix platforms

Hello, I have a question regarding ACLs and their availability across different Unix platforms via NFS share. If I have an AIX/FreeBSD/Solaris/HP-UX client that has an nfs share from a different system mounted on it, will the ACLs on the nfs share be processed properly? My guess is that as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multichecks across all unix platforms

Can somebody refer me following multicheck to perform across most of unix platform like AIX, HP-UX, solaris, Linux. CPU utilization above X% Check IO above X% Swap usage check above X% Memory utilization above X% ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendtoshailesh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing help across multiple UNIX platforms

Need to parse XML like strings from a file. Using `egrep -A 1 "Panel Temp" "$2" | tail -2` I get the following string: <parameter name="Panel Temp" unit="0.1 C"> <value size="1" starttime="06-08-2017 09:36:56.968">95</value> I want to output: {"Panel Temp" 9.5 C} The 9.5 C is the value... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: harleyvrodred
16 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)