Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rm files older then 2 seconds? Post 302370442 by mkastin on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 11:29:07 AM
Old 11-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
The best way of doing this is not doing it at all ....
Why create a file that need to be immediately removed?
Couldn't agree more...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

files older than 15 minutes

Hi Friends, i have to write a script to raise a flag if there are any files that are older than 15 minutes in the directory.The directory is supplied as the parameter to the script. please help with a sample script. Thanks in advance veera (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm files older than ...

Hello, How can I remove files older than yesterday or the day before or a given day ... Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove the older files

Hi All, I need to remove some old files which the file creation date is older than a week. I've tried to use command: find . -atime +6 -exec rm{}. but it seems the creation date of files shown above were not as I expected. please your kind advice. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prasandha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting list of files generated last 10 seconds

I was trying to figure out in Korn shell but this may apply elsewhere how to generate a list of files from a directory created in the last 10 seconds or less. I have used the find command in the past with -mtime which is measured in days to get a list of files older than say 7 days for example. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lee_murray
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

files older than few hours

Hi All I need to know the command which can be used to list the files which are 3 hours old so that it can be deleted. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani9
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

files older than a certain time

I know how to find files, which are newer than a specific time. touch -t 201103300650 dummy find /path/to/files -type f -newer dummy -exec ls -l {} \; Is there a way to find files, which are older than a specific time? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the older files other than the recently added 5 files

Number of files will get created in a folder automatically daily.. so i hav to delete the older files other than the recently added 5 files.. Could u help me through this..?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving older files

Hello Group, I would request your help to build a shell script in order to find files older than 90 days then create the same directory structure under the second disk (/archive directory) and move the file preserving the same timestamps (ownership, etc). Also keep the log of files moved... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

10. AIX

Getting files through find command and listing file modification time upto seconds

I have to list the files of particular directory using file filter like find -name abc* something and if multiple file exist I also want time of each file up to seconds. Currently we are getting time up to minutes in AIX is there any way I can get file last modification time up to seconds. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nitesh sahu
4 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ... mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes each of the given file name templates and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with some number of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp selecting 1 of 56800235584 (62 ** 6) pos- sible file names. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. If the -t prefix option is given, mktemp will generate a template string based on the prefix and the TMPDIR environment variable if set. The default location if TMPDIR is not set is /tmp. Care should be taken to ensure that it is appropriate to use an environment variable poten- tially supplied by the user. If no arguments are passed or if only the -d flag is passed mktemp behaves as if -t tmp was supplied. Any number of temporary files may be created in a single invocation, including one based on the internal template resulting from the -t flag. The mktemp utility is provided to allow shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the pid as a suffix and use that as a temporary file name. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior, approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this does allow one to guarantee that a temporary file will not be subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. For these reasons it is suggested that mktemp be used instead. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t prefix Generate a template (using the supplied prefix and TMPDIR if set) to create a filename template. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. EXIT STATUS
The mktemp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE To allow the use of $TMPDIR: tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -t ${tempfoo}` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
mkdtemp(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), environ(7) HISTORY
A mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. This implementation was written independently based on the OpenBSD man page, and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.7. This man page is taken from OpenBSD. BSD
December 30, 2005 BSD