Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selective input passing, for cron with multiple interval Post 302370314 by vikram3.r on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 04:26:58 AM
Old 11-11-2009
Selective input passing, for cron with multiple interval

0,0 4,5 11 11 * /pkgs/roots/scripts/job_monitor.ksh

i have the requirement like,
for the first time(4) the script should have the input parameter as "Value1"
but the second time(5) it should have the input parameter as "Value2"

Can we achieve this using any cron options ? If yes, How..??

Otherwise what is the best approach to achieve this within the script ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job for wekkly interval

Hi, I would like to trigger a scipt on every Wednesday 12:00PM. how can schedule this script in CRON command. Could you please help me on this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing input to perl command

Hi, In awk in can pass input to a command like this echo "1 2" | awk '{p=$1+$2;print v}'or I can use v option to pass input to awk command In the similar way How can I pass input to a perl command. For example : perl -pi -e 'if ( $. == 2 ) {print "Hello\n" }' input.txtIn the above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john_noble
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Input to AWK

I am trying to search a log for a particluar pattern listing the total # of occurences in the end. I thought using a shell script for input then calling awk to search for the paramters specified. I want the script to be usable acorss envs. Code: #! /usr/bin/bash # get the variables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wawa44oz
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a ksh in bg after passing input

Hello, I've got a KSH which I use to monitor processes then email me when complete. I pass the process name to the script and the update interval. Does anyone know how I can get this to execute in the background. I can't use 'scriptname &' as it starts in the background before reading in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Interval cron issue with order of execution

55,0 5,6 * * * myScript This cron task will execute on 5:00AM, 5:55AM, 6:00AM and 6:55AM. Is there any possibility to make it run only in the order specified such as 5:55AM and 6:00AM (basically only on the 2 intervals) ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get selective input and run cron job.

Hi, I have one shell script where it will copy all files to a directory which is already present, For example : i have directory DIRA and DIRB, and my shell script will expects user input to specify which directory should files must be copied. this shell scrip i am running every day using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable as input to another shell

I have a shell program that calls another shell program the following code works . chkTimeFormat.sh "10/9/12 17:51:19:783."|read c but when I am passing the the time in a variable like in the code below, the shell chkTimeFormat.sh is not returning proper value time="10/9/12... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to an input file

Hi All, I have to insert 2 values to a text file in specific places. I have been able to extract each variable value via a script but am not able to send these variable values to the text file. Pasted is the script for extracting the variable values: for i in `ls -1` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Input To Function

May i please know why is it printing the script name for $0 when i pass those parameters to function. #!/bin/bash -x usage() { echo "In Usage Function" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 } echo "printing first time" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 usage $0 $1 $2 Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple selective keyword Report

Dear All, I have a question on what is the best way to control and list out multiple selective keywords to print out the report Below is the Sample output of the listing Code1 Code1 Code1 Identifier "Job" Code2 Code2 Code2 Name "Impressive" Code3 Code3 Code3 AGT_Manual Code1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-l load_avg] [-n] DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. The -n option changes this default behavior causing it to run in the foreground. This can be useful when starting it out of init. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. PAM Access Control On SUSE LINUX systems, crond now supports access control with PAM - see pam(8). A PAM configuration file for crond is installed in /etc/pam.d/crond . crond loads the PAM environment from the pam_env module, but these can be overriden by settings in the crontab file. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Naturally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). CAVEATS
In this version of cron, /etc/crontab must not be writable by any user other than root. No crontab files may be links, or linked to by any other file. No crontab files may be executable, or be writable by any user other than their owner. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> 4th Berkeley Distribution 10 January 1996" CRON(8)