Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error using select menu command Post 302369933 by milindb on Tuesday 10th of November 2009 02:45:31 AM
Old 11-10-2009
Error using select menu command

Hi All,
I am trying to use the select command & the menu.
below mention is my script

Code:

#!/bin/bash
      3 PS3="Is today your birthday? " #PS3 system variable
      5 echo "\n"
      8 select menu_selection in YES NO QUIT
      9 do
     11         case $menu_selection in
     12         YES) echo "\nHAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!\n"
     13                 ;;
     14         NO) echo  "\nIt is someone's birthday today..........\
     15                 Sorry it is not yours\n"
     16                 ;;
     17         QUIT) echo  "\nLater tater !\n "
     18                 break
     19                 ;;
     20         *) echo "\n Invalid Answer....please try again \n"
     21                 ;;
     22         esac
     23 done

I am getting a different kind of output

Code:

[test1]$ ./SelectMenu
\n
1) YES
2) NO
3) QUIT
Is today your birthday? YES
\n Invalid Answer....please try again \n
Is today your birthday? NO
Is today your birthday? QUIT
Is today your birthday? 3
\nLater tater !\n
[test1]$

kindly let me know where am I going wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic Select menu

Hi all is menu driven by SELECT can be a dynamic ? My requirement is that i want SELECT to be created on run time not predefine . The select should be created as per the no of words in a file thanks in advance rawat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawatds
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Drop down menu in bash for timezone select

Is there any way to implement a drop down menu selection in bash? This is on CDLinux which is a very minimal live CD and I am using it to install an image onto a hard drive. Part of that process is the timezone selection. There are just too many timezones to attempt to use the "select" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simonb
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reappearing menu list using select

is there a way I can make the menu list reappear when I use select ? ----- menulist="Change_title Remove_tag Change_tag Add_line Quit" select word in $menulist #change_title remove_tag change_tag add_line quit do case $word in # first menu option Change Title ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command to build menu

Hello everyone. I am using the select command to build a menu, here is my question: Is it possible to generate a menu which contains several sections and have a separator between the sections without having a selection number generated in front of the separator? This is a sample of what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reprint the select menu after a selection

Hi, I am using a select in ksh for a script #!/bin/ksh FIRSTLIST='one two three four quit' PS3='Please select a number: ' select i in $FIRSTLIST ; do case $i in one) print 'this is one' ;; two) print 'this is 2' ;; three) print 'this is 3' ;; four) print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omerzzz
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select ksh menu question

I am creating a Select menu with a few options and I would like to create a "better" looking interface than just this: 1) Option 1 2) Option 2 3) Option 3 Instead, I would like something like this: *********** * Cool Script * * 1) Option 1 * * 2) Option 2 * * 3) Option 3 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Select Menu Script

Hi All, I need to develop a bash script list “list of files” and able to select if any and set as globe variable in script and use for other function. I would like to see in menu format. Example out put Below are the listed files for database clone 1. Sys.txt 2. abc.txt 3. Ddd.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format of 'select' generated menu

Oracle Linux 5.6 64-bit Given the below snippet ORACLE_SID='' PS3='Select target (test) database being refreshed: ' # while ]; do select ORACLE_SID in `egrep -i '^FS|^HR' /etc/oratab |\ awk -F\: '{print $1}'|sort` ; do if ]; then echo echo "Please enter a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with menu in select

hi i am new to bash scripting .. i created a bunch of folders but only want the folder names with file1. so i go in and make an array to grab the folders the put in a file then i strip the directories so i just have the folder names i need then i would like to make the menu with a selection... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamby22
3 Replies
mitem_value(3X) 														   mitem_value(3X)

NAME
mitem_value - set and get menu item values SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_item_value(ITEM *item, bool value); bool item_value(const ITEM *item); DESCRIPTION
If you turn off the menu option O_ONEVALUE (e.g., with set_menu_opts or menu_opts_off; see menu_opts(3X)), the menu becomes multi-valued; that is, more than one item may simultaneously be selected. In a multi_valued menu, you can used set_item_value to select the given menu item (second argument TRUE) or deselect it (second argument FALSE). RETURN VALUE
The function set_item_value returns one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_REQUEST_DENIED The menu driver could not process the request. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), menu(3X). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. mitem_value(3X)