Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read n number of lines from a file Post 302369922 by bittoo on Tuesday 10th of November 2009 01:54:54 AM
Old 11-10-2009
Ignore this ..Supposed to be in another thread

---------- Post updated at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:19 PM ----------

Hi Try this:

Added if ( j != count-1 ) to get next line and works good....

awk -v count=$n '{k = $1; getline; for (j=1; j<count; j++) {if ( $1 > k ) k = $1
; if ( j != count-1 ) getline;} print k}' $file...

Sorry i didnot see that it is solved...

Last edited by bittoo; 11-10-2009 at 03:03 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a number from file and place it back

Hi All, I want to read one number from the file. Only one number will be there in the file. then i have to increment the number in my script and put it back in the same file. Is it possible? Can anybody help me? Thanks, Vinay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the specified line number from file

Hi Guys, I am new to unix. Actually i want help in writing an single command where i can actually read specific line number in file where the line number will be passed to command as parameter. ex. 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d And to my command i pass as 2. so i should get output as 2 b ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line with particular number of lines

Hi all, I have a file sample.txt abc asd adf daf adw add adv wdf I want to control the number of lines to read Like if i give input as ./script_name 2 5 required output asd adf daf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a number from a file?

hello guys, I'm struggled to get a number from a very long text file. NAtoms= 33 NActive= 30 NUniq= 23 SFac= 1.00D+00 NAtFMM= 60 NAOKFM=F Big=F Integral buffers will be 131072 words long. Raffenetti 2 integral format. The number 33 is what I wanted, always follows NAtoms=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file starting at certain line number?

I am new to ksh scripts. I would like to be able to read a file line by line from a certain line number. I have a specific line number saved in a variable, say $lineNumber. How can I start reading the file from the line number saved in $lineNumber? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcowboys13
4 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)