Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting files that don't contain particular text strings / more than one instance of a string Post 302369898 by rdcwayx on Tuesday 10th of November 2009 12:11:29 AM
Old 11-10-2009
You need this?

Code:
 awk -F_ '/^>/ {print $1 }' $FileName|sort |uniq -c |sort -n
      1 >CGIG
      1 >CVIR
      1 >HROB
      1 >IPAR
      1 >LGIG
      1 >MCAL
      1 >NVEC
      3 >ACAL

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a file I don't own

I have a directory with permissions set 777, and some gumby has dumped a bunch of files and directories in there. I don't own the culprit files or directories, but do own the containing directory - Is there some way I can delete this other user's files? The other interesting thing is that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumachan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from multiple text files

I have a directory full of text data files. Unfortunately I need to get rid of the 7th and 8th line from them all so that I can input them into a GIS application. I've used an awk script to do one at a time but due to the sheer number of files I need some kind of loop mechanism to automate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrms
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, first instance only

There are a lot of ways to extract text from between two strings, but what if those strings occur multiple times and you only want the text from the first two strings? I can't seem to find anything to work here. I'm using sed to process the text after it's extracted, so I prefer a sed answer, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a file based on one specific string instance?

Hello! I need to delete one line in a file which matches one very precise instance of a string only. When searching the forum I unfortunately only found a solution which would delete each line on which a particular string occurs. Let's assume I have a file composed of thousands of lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Sun
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text strings in files.

Hi all I have two files X.txt and Y.txt. The file format of X.txt is : madras is also the fountainhead of the theosophical movement which spread worldwide . and second file Y.txt is of the format: madra|s|nsubj is|cop also|advmod the|det fountainhead|empty of|prep the|det... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to find files that don't contain a string

Hi all, I am still learning my way around unix commands and I have the following question. I have a website and I want to search for all the html pages that don't contain a certain js file. The file I am searching for is located under /topfolder/js/rules.js . So I assume in my grep search I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SyphaX
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines that contain a specific string from a space delimited text file?

Hi, I have a space delimited text file that looks like the following: 250 rs10000056 0.04 0.0888 4 189321617 250 rs10000062 0.05 0.0435 4 5254744 250 rs10000064 0.02 0.2403 4 127809621 250 rs10000068 0.01 NA 250 rs1000007 0.00 0.9531 2 237752054 250 rs10000081 0.03 0.1400 4 17348363... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text file, then grep next instance of string

I need to be able to search for a beginning line header, then use grep or something else to get the very next instance of a particular string, which will ALWAYS be in "Line5". What I have is some data that appears like this: Line1 Line2 Line3 Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 Line1 Line2 ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akilleez
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Problem with Shell Scripts deleting text in files.

Me and a friend are working on a project, and We have to create a script that can go into a file, and replace all occurances of a certain expression/word/letter with another using Sed. It is designed to go through multiple tests replacing all these occurances, and we don't know what they will be so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Johnny2518
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Deleting all files containing string (WINDOWS DOS)

So I want to skim through all folders (ongoing from the curr dir) and delete all files that contain the string: "in conflikt standing copy". Is this possible WITH DOS ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies
refile(1)						      General Commands Manual							 refile(1)

NAME
refile - file message in other folders (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
refile [msgs] [+folder] [options] OPTIONS
Refiles the draft message, or the current message in your +drafts folder, if you have one set up. You cannot give a msgs argument when you use this option. Moves a file into a folder. This option takes a file from its directory and places it in the named folder, as the next message in the folder. The file must be formatted as a legal mail message. This means that the message must have the minimum header fields separated from the body of the message by a blank line or a line of dashes. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Keeps a copy of the message in the source folder. Normally, refile removes the messages from the original folder when it refiles them. The -link option keeps a copy in the original folder, as well as filing a copy in the new folder. Preserves the number of a message in the new folder. Normally, when a message is refiled in to another folder, it is set to the next available number in that folder. The -preserve option keeps the number of the message the same in the new folder as it had been in the old. You cannot have two messages with the same number in one folder, so you should use this option with care. Specifies the source folder to take messages from. Normally, messages are refiled from the current folder into another folder. However, you can take mes- sages from a different folder by using the -src +folder option to specify the alternative source folder. DESCRIPTION
Use the refile command to move the specified message from the current folder to another folder. You can refile messages in more than one folder by giving multiple folder names as arguments. If you do not specify a message, the current message is refiled. You can refile a message other than the current message by giving its num- ber as a msgs argument. You can also refile more than one message at a time by specifying more than one message number, or a range of mes- sage numbers, or a message sequence. See mark(1) for more information on sequences. The current folder remains the same unless the -src option is specified; in that case, the source folder becomes current. Normally, the last message specified becomes the current message. However, if the -link option is used, the current message is not changed. If the Previous-Sequence: entry is set in the file, in addition to defining the named sequences from the source folder, refile will also define those sequences for the destination folders. See mh_profile(4) for information concerning the previous sequence. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your Mail directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message EXAMPLES
The following example refiles messages 3 and 5 in the folder +records: % refile 3 5 +records The next example files the current message into two folders: % refile +jones +map The next example takes message 13 in the current folder and refiles it in the +test folder. The mes- sage remains in the current folder as well as appearing in the +test folder. % refile -link 13 +test The next example takes a message from the folder +test when it is not the current folder, and places it in the folder +outbox: % refile 3 -src +test +outbox FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
folder(1), mark(1), mh_profile(4) refile(1)