Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find empty folders
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find empty folders Post 302369869 by rdcwayx on Monday 9th of November 2009 10:12:54 PM
Old 11-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
if your ls has -R,
Code:
ls -1R| nawk '/^\./{s=$0;getline;if($0==""){print "empty: "s}}'

NB:tested on linux, not solaris, but you can give nawk a try. run it on top directory where you want to start searching.
close to my request now. Thank you.

But it doesn't report the top folders only. In sample,

Code:
$ ls -1R| nawk '/^\./{s=$0;getline;if($0==""){print s}}'
./a/b:
./c:

I have more than thousand folders under that folder, I need get the top folder list of

Code:
./a (because under folder a, only have subfolder b, no any files.)
./c

---------- Post updated at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmero
What about /usr/xpg4/bin/find
same error, not support -empty.

---------- Post updated at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:02 PM ----------

Get it by myself

Code:
for i in `ls -l |awk '{if ($1~/^d/) print $9}'`
do 
  if  [ "$(find $i -type f)" = "" ] ; then 
       echo $i "is empty folder"
  fi
done

But if the top folder name include space, the script will not find it out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip nesting empty folders

I'm using the following command to zip a project file, but when it finishes, the resulting zip file contains all the directories above the file I wanted zipped, myapp.app, each one empty until you get to the actual app. zip -r myapp.app.zip ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find only folders

is there an option in find command to search only for folders (not subfolders). thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find empty folders without using -empty

hi all: my solaris FIND does not support find myFolder -type d -empty how can i find the empty folders? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasse
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders using the "find" command

Hi I'm trying to remove empty sub-folders from 1 main folder using the find method, but the "- empty" parameter isn't recognized by my Unix version. Any idea how to implement such thing? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biot
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders using 'find'

Hey there! I try to use 'find' to remove empty directories like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec rm -rf {} ';' It works just fine, but there are some directories i want to exclude. So i tried to do sth like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec grep -v "not this one please" -exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deTTo
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders

Hello, I have a folder that contains all my music. Recently, I started using a different media player, and I let it manage my music folder. It has sorted all my music neatly in folders by artist and album. However, all the old folders that the songs used to be in are still there, yet they are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emveedee
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting empty folders

Hey, I need help with writing a shell script that deletes empty folders..anyone? :) Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: putukas
5 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Empty folders with SFU

Hi all, i am currently setting my windows XP environment to use with Services for Unix (NFS Client) to mount my unix file system as a network drive. However, though i could mount the unix file directory successful, but the folder is empty (which is not). Why is this so? i have imported my unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lchunleo
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete some empty folders?

I have an amount of folders and I want to delete only the empty ones. But I have more than 200 empty folders, so I would preffer do not delete one by one... I know it is possible, but I don't know how. I've tried with the size, using 'du' command, and saving the result in a file. After that, I made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saitsug
3 Replies
RMF(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)