Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find empty folders
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find empty folders Post 302369860 by ghostdog74 on Monday 9th of November 2009 09:20:33 PM
Old 11-09-2009
if your ls has -R,
Code:
ls -1R| nawk '/^\./{s=$0;getline;if($0==""){print "empty: "s}}'

NB:tested on linux, not solaris, but you can give nawk a try. run it on top directory where you want to start searching.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip nesting empty folders

I'm using the following command to zip a project file, but when it finishes, the resulting zip file contains all the directories above the file I wanted zipped, myapp.app, each one empty until you get to the actual app. zip -r myapp.app.zip ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find only folders

is there an option in find command to search only for folders (not subfolders). thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find empty folders without using -empty

hi all: my solaris FIND does not support find myFolder -type d -empty how can i find the empty folders? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasse
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders using the "find" command

Hi I'm trying to remove empty sub-folders from 1 main folder using the find method, but the "- empty" parameter isn't recognized by my Unix version. Any idea how to implement such thing? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biot
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders using 'find'

Hey there! I try to use 'find' to remove empty directories like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec rm -rf {} ';' It works just fine, but there are some directories i want to exclude. So i tried to do sth like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec grep -v "not this one please" -exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deTTo
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders

Hello, I have a folder that contains all my music. Recently, I started using a different media player, and I let it manage my music folder. It has sorted all my music neatly in folders by artist and album. However, all the old folders that the songs used to be in are still there, yet they are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emveedee
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting empty folders

Hey, I need help with writing a shell script that deletes empty folders..anyone? :) Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: putukas
5 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Empty folders with SFU

Hi all, i am currently setting my windows XP environment to use with Services for Unix (NFS Client) to mount my unix file system as a network drive. However, though i could mount the unix file directory successful, but the folder is empty (which is not). Why is this so? i have imported my unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lchunleo
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete some empty folders?

I have an amount of folders and I want to delete only the empty ones. But I have more than 200 empty folders, so I would preffer do not delete one by one... I know it is possible, but I don't know how. I've tried with the size, using 'du' command, and saving the result in a file. After that, I made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saitsug
3 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)