Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue on sorting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Issue on sorting Post 302369773 by asmfloyd on Monday 9th of November 2009 02:04:02 PM
Old 11-09-2009
Issue on sorting

Hi,
I have a file which has data as
path/1.xml path/2.xml,...(each in separate lines)

I want to sort this file in order. It is not working when I give
"sort filename"
The number of "/" in path can vary.

Thanks,
Floyd

Last edited by asmfloyd; 11-09-2009 at 03:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting :

Hi .... iam having a file with 20,000 rows and 56 colums. Iam trying to sort a file ....for that iam using 'sort' command. If iam having 3 and 5 key colums etc ... as numerical this 'sort' command will work? what ihave to do ? sample example : E100|0|19940102|1|11111|E003... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Issue

Hi Guys, I am very new to Unix.Can anyone tell me how to sort a file based on fields. For example, I am having a file whose contents are mentioned below: 2233|charles harris |g.m. |sales |12/12/52| 90000 9876|bill johnson |director... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting

I've been on holiday, and the brain's clearly not back in gear yet... On Solaris, I have a simple list of package names... DGBUpPost1.43_R1 DGSApp1.44_S1 DGSApp1.47_V1 DGSApp1.48_W0 DGPEuroC1.10_K0 DGPEuroC1.11_L0 DGPEuroC1.9_J0 DGSRet1.10_K0 I just want to properly sort them into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting issue with directory and file name

Hi All, My folder contains the files as: $ ls -lrt total 50 lms_prap_rf_20100422_99.xml lms_prap_rf_20100422_9.xml lms_prap_rf_20100422_100.xml lms_prap_rf_20100422_10.xml lms_prap_rf_20100426_1.xml I need to get the sorting of the above file based on numbers. I need first file in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HELP on sorting

hi everyone, I am kind of new to this forum. I need help in sorting this data out accordingly, I am actually doing a traceroute application and wants my AS path displayed in front of my address like this; 192.168.1.1 AS28513 AS65534 AS5089 AS5089 .... till the last AS number and if possible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam127
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting issue

I have files with the name myfile_YYMMDD.txt I need to sort them by their date stamp. I know this will work. ls -lrt * | awk '{print $9}' | cut -d "_" -f3 | sort However, it just returns YYMMDD.txt I can then append the myfile_ to it. However, that myfile_ may change. How do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMagoo22
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting issue

Hi All, I am working on a huge pile of data. Its about a service initiating a call and and finishing it. The columns that I have is: Date Time URL Call Type ServiceName 5/11/2015 15:00:00 http-/0.0.0.0:8091-9 going to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
WRAP-AND-SORT(1)					      General Commands Manual						  WRAP-AND-SORT(1)

NAME
wrap-and-sort - wrap long lines and sort items in Debian packaging files SYNOPSIS
wrap-and-sort [options] DESCRIPTION
wrap-and-sort wraps the package lists in Debian control files. By default the lists will only split into multiple lines if the entries are longer than 80 characters. wrap-and-sort sorts the package lists in Debian control files and all .install files. Beside that wrap-and-sort removes trailing spaces in these files. This script should be run in the root of a Debian package tree. It searches for control, control.in, copyright, copyright.in, install, and *.install in the debian directory. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show this help message and exit. -a, --wrap-always Wrap all package lists in the Debian control file even if the entries are shorter than 80 characters and could fit in one line line. -s, --short-indent Only indent wrapped lines by one space (default is in-line with the field name). -b, --sort-binary-packages Sort binary package paragraphs by name. -k, --keep-first When sorting binary package paragraphs, leave the first one at the top. Unqualified debhelper(7) configuration files are applied to the first package. -n, --no-cleanup Do not remove trailing whitespaces. -d path, --debian-directory=path Location of the debian directory (default: ./debian). -f file, --file=file Wrap and sort only the specified file. You can specify this parameter multiple times. All supported files will be processed if no files are specified. -v, --verbose Print all files that are touched. AUTHORS
wrap-and-sort and this manpage have been written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. Both are released under the ISC license. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WRAP-AND-SORT(1)