Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read n number of lines from a file Post 302369734 by ahmad.diab on Monday 9th of November 2009 12:24:56 PM
Old 11-09-2009
modification in below:-

Code:
gawk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){a[i]+=$i;b[i]++ ; if(nf <= NF) {nf=NF}  } }

END{printf "Avrg  " ; for (i in a) {printf "%s %s",a[nf+1-i]/b[nf+1-i],( i <= nf ) ? " " : "\n" }}
'   file.txt

---------- Post updated at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.diab
modification in below:-

Code:
gawk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){a[i]+=$i;b[i]++ ; if(nf <= NF) {nf=NF}  } }

END{printf "Avrg  " ; for (i in a) {printf "%s %s",a[nf+1-i]/b[nf+1-i],( i <= nf ) ? " " : "\n" }}
'   file.txt

Code:
note:- if the averages are not in order use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk instead of gawk

SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a number from file and place it back

Hi All, I want to read one number from the file. Only one number will be there in the file. then i have to increment the number in my script and put it back in the same file. Is it possible? Can anybody help me? Thanks, Vinay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the specified line number from file

Hi Guys, I am new to unix. Actually i want help in writing an single command where i can actually read specific line number in file where the line number will be passed to command as parameter. ex. 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d And to my command i pass as 2. so i should get output as 2 b ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line with particular number of lines

Hi all, I have a file sample.txt abc asd adf daf adw add adv wdf I want to control the number of lines to read Like if i give input as ./script_name 2 5 required output asd adf daf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a number from a file?

hello guys, I'm struggled to get a number from a very long text file. NAtoms= 33 NActive= 30 NUniq= 23 SFac= 1.00D+00 NAtFMM= 60 NAOKFM=F Big=F Integral buffers will be 131072 words long. Raffenetti 2 integral format. The number 33 is what I wanted, always follows NAtoms=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file starting at certain line number?

I am new to ksh scripts. I would like to be able to read a file line by line from a certain line number. I have a specific line number saved in a variable, say $lineNumber. How can I start reading the file from the line number saved in $lineNumber? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcowboys13
4 Replies
VP(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     VP(4)

NAME
vp - Versatec printer-plotter DESCRIPTION
Vp0 is the interface to a Versatec D1200A printer-plotter with a Versatec C-PDP11(DMA) controller. Ordinarily bytes written on it are interpreted as ASCII characters and printed. As a printer, it writes 64 lines of 132 characters each on 11 by 8.5 inch paper. Only some of the ASCII control characters are interpreted. NL performs the usual new-line function, i.e. spaces up the paper and resets to the left margin. It is ignored however following a CR which ends a non-empty line. CR is ignored if the current line is empty but is otherwise like NL. FF resets to the left margin and then to the top of the next page. EOT resets to the left margin, advances 8 inches, and then performs a FF. The ioctl(2) system call may be used to change the mode of the device. Only the first word of the 3-word argument structure is used. The bits mean: 0400 Enter simultaneous print/plot mode. 0200 Enter plot mode. 0100 Enter print mode (default on open). 040 Send remote terminate. 020 Send remote form-feed. 010 Send remote EOT. 04 Send remote clear. 02 Send remote reset. On open a reset, clear, and form-feed are performed automatically. Notice that the mode bits are not encoded, so that it is required that exactly one be set. In plot mode each byte is interpreted as 8 bits of which the high-order is plotted to the left; a `1' leaves a visible dot. A full line of dots is produced by 264 bytes; lines are terminated only by count or by a remote terminate function. There are 200 dots per inch both ver- tically and horizontally. When simultaneous print-plot mode is entered exactly one line of characters, terminated by NL, CR, or the remote terminate function, should be written. Then the device enters plot mode and at least 20 lines of plotting bytes should be sent. As the line of characters (which is 20 dots high) is printed, the plotting bytes overlay the characters. Notice that it is impossible to print characters on baselines that differ by fewer than 20 dot-lines. In print mode lines may be terminated either with an appropriate ASCII character or by using the remote terminate function. FILES
/dev/vp0 SEE ALSO
opr(1) VP(4)