Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to see a variable value outside a function in kshell Post 302369081 by somu_june on Friday 6th of November 2009 11:32:56 AM
Old 11-06-2009
How to see a variable value outside a function in kshell

Hi,

I wrote a small shell script which had function C_fun() and script name is same C_fun.ksh

Here is the program inside the script

Code:
#!bin/ksh -x
C_fun()  {
  typeset TEXT=${1}
}
echo Value of TEXT $TEXT

When Im running the above script with Parameter "R" as the option . The echo statement is not throwing me a value
The output is echo Value of TEXT and there is no value available "R" . How can I catch the variable value outside the function. I tried with export option instead of typeset but no help. I Want to catch the value of the $TEXT outside the function. I hope some one can help me in this.

Thanks,
Raju.

Last edited by Franklin52; 11-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value not retaining outside function

Hi All, As per my understanding, value of variable is retained outside function. But the value of array myarrayDriver is not retained outside function. Could you please tell the reason for the same.. code: readingConfigFile() { search_keyword="$1" i=0 for pointer in $(cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

function not see variable in script

Hi Forum Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my script. What i want to do read in values from a input file using a while loop then taking that input from the file into a function that i created. Every time i execute the script it goes through the while loop but the function doesn't see the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing variable to Alias in Hp kshell

Hi all, I have a series of directories which i open regularly. I want create an alias so that i can pass the direcotry name to alias and then this commands makes Cd to the path i need. COuld you please help on how to create an alias ex of what i am trying but couldn't succeeded #alias... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

function for variable files

hi all this is my function #! /bin/sh awk '/ Type/ { print "m;" $4 } /IDf/ {print $3 } /IuSac/ { print $3 } /IuSac/ { print $1 }' / IBM.txt |tr '\n' ';'| perl -pi -e 's/;m//g'|cut -d ";" -f 2-5 ' >> 2m 1) i wanna make it to save output of awk in a file named by date in order not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help with Kshell Script!

I am an AIX noobie, and have a question around an AIX 5.2 script that I need to run. Security Audit requires us to have no World Writable files on our server, but every time we restart the Domino server on AIX it re-flags two files as World Writable. I have a little script that I created that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nebs
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable from one function to another function?

updateEnvironmentField() { linewithoutquotes=`echo $LINE | tr -d '"'` b() } I want to pass variable named $linewithoutquotes to another method called b(), which is called from updateEnvironmentField() method. How to do the above requirement with shell script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pottic
1 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)