Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NFS as unix service?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NFS as unix service? Post 302368910 by jpsingh on Friday 6th of November 2009 01:09:54 AM
Old 11-06-2009
CPU & Memory NFS as unix service?

Hi All

I want to understand the difference between 'NFS as a unix service' vs 'NFS attached to NAS' for the purpose of identifying shared storage solution for my test RAC setup. Oracle support says that 'NFS as unix service (what I understand is a local PC/server disk mounted as NFS) is not supported and that standard NFS client software (client systems that use the operating system provided NFS driver) is not optimized for Oracle database file I/O access patterns. But I still have my doubts that I can use this as a test setup? Please guide.

Also, it is said that with the introduction of Oracle 11g, a new feature known as Direct NFS Client integrates the NFS client functionality directly in the Oracle software. Through this integration, Oracle is able to optimize the I/O path between the Oracle software and the NFS server resulting in significant performance gains. Direct NFS Client can simplify, and in many cases automate, the performance optimization of the NFS client configuration for database workloads... does that mean I can use NFS as a unix service with oracle 11g?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

UNIX - Linux NFS Rights need Help

Hello, I am running a Suse Linux server and I want to set up a NFS Server for a few Unix machines. For the root account at the unix client it works fine but it doesn't work for other users who have no root rights. I've used the no_root_squash and the rw option in the etc/export file. My folder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ald-Edv
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

Mounting of unix NFS to windows XP

is it possible? i will only config on the windows side. is there a third party software to help me accomplish this? tnx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amaru
3 Replies

3. Solaris

NFS service : offline after enabling it .

Hi all, i Followed these steps & still not able to get nfs service online ???:( bash-3.2# svcs -a | grep nfs disabled 17:48:02 svc:/network/nfs/cbd:default disabled 17:48:02 svc:/network/nfs/client:default disabled 20:56:06 svc:/network/nfs/status:default offline ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MP-RAS Unix and NFS

Hi, I would like to know if It's possible configure NFS on MP-RAS Unix so mountd uses a static port instead of a dynamic one. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cuatrodos
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

bind nfs service to nic

Hello everyone, I am running a RHEL4 server. We have 4 nics, which are paired to create bond0 and bond1. BOND0 is on a vlan which can see our storage system. BOND1 cannot see the storage system. I would like to lock down the system, so that NFS share can only mounted via BOND0. Has anyone done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Hi all in my server all nfs dependices are online but nfs client is offline root@BIWAPP1 # svcs -a|grep nfs disabled Sep_05 svc:/network/nfs/server:default online Sep_05 svc:/network/nfs/rquota:default online Sep_05 svc:/network/nfs/mapid:default online ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandhan
9 Replies

7. Solaris

NFS client service restart

Can any one please tell me the command for NFS client service restart.This is to resolve, NFS mount slowness issue.Mount is very slow for both read and write operations.The below commands are not helping out in this situation. ---------- Post updated at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Writing from Unix DB to Linux NFS

I have an HP Unix server with Oracle DB and want to write Datapumo export files across the network to IMB/Linux NFS. Will that work? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duane McDonough
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

No reponse to 'service NFS start' command

Hello, I have a newly kickstarted RHEL 6.4 server that I'm trying to set-up as a kickstart server. I have done this before on other machines, but I am encountering some strange behaviour in this one. # service nfs status rpc.svcgssd is stopped rpc.mountd is stopped nfsd is stopped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chopstyx
0 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

NFS service not started in Redhat Cluster

Hi All, Need your help to resolve below error in cluter. Sep 9 05:37:30 node2 rgmanager: Starting disabled service service:Prod_Service Sep 9 05:37:30 node2 rgmanager: HA LVM: Improper setup detected Sep 9 05:37:30 node2 rgmanager: * initrd image needs to be newer than lvm.conf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinredekar
3 Replies
nfssec(5)							File Formats Manual							 nfssec(5)

NAME
nfssec - overview of NFS security modes DESCRIPTION
The mount_nfs(1M) and share_nfs(1M) commands each provide a way to specify the security mode to be used on an NFS filesystem through the option. mode can be either or These security modes may also be added to the automount maps. Note that mount_nfs(1M) and automount(1M) do not support at this time. The option on the share_nfs(1M) command line establishes the security mode of NFS servers. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Version 3 protocol, the NFS clients must query the server for the appropriate mode to use. If the NFS connection uses the NFS Version 2 protocol, then the NFS client uses the default security mode, which is currently NFS clients may force the use of a specific security mode by speci- fying the option on the command line. However, if the filesystem on the server is not shared with that security mode, the client may be denied access. If the NFS client wants to authenticate the NFS server using a particular (stronger) security mode, the client wants to specify the secu- rity mode to be used, even if the connection uses the NFS Version 3 protocol. This guarantees that an attacker masquerading as the server does not compromise the client. The NFS security modes are described below. Of these, the modes use the Kerberos V5 protocol for authenticating and protecting the shared filesystems. Before these can be used, the system must be configured to be part of a Kerberos realm. Use authentication. The user's UNIX user-id and group-ids are passed in the clear on the network, unauthenticated by the NFS server . This is the simplest security method and requires no additional administration. It is the default used by HP-UX NFS Version 2 clients and HP-UX NFS servers. Use a Diffie-Hellman public key system which is referred to as in the forthcoming Internet RFC). Use Kerberos V5 protocol to authenticate users before granting access to the shared filesystem. Use Kerberos V5 authentication with integrity checking (checksums) to verify that the data has not been tampered with. User Kerberos V5 authentication, integrity checksums, and privacy protection (encryption) on the shared filesystem. This provides the most secure filesystem sharing, as all traffic is encrypted. It should be noted that performance might suffer on some systems when using depending on the computational intensity of the encryption algorithm and the amount of data being transferred. Use null authentication NFS clients using have no identity and are mapped to the anonymous user by NFS servers. A client using a security mode other than the one with which an HP-UX NFS server shares the filesystem has its security mode mapped to In this case, if the filesystem is shared with users from the client are mapped to the anonymous user. WARNINGS
lists the NFS security services. Do not edit this file. It is not intended to be user-configurable. FILES
NFS security service configuration file SEE ALSO
automount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), rpc_clnt_auth(3N), secure_rpc(3N), nfssec.conf(4). nfssec(5)