Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed / grep / for statement performance - please help Post 302368661 by TehOne on Thursday 5th of November 2009 09:37:35 AM
Old 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
get rid of all those useless cats, greps and sed.
Code:
find debugme -name "*.txt" | awk 'BEGIN{
   while( (getline line < "debug.files" ) > 0 ) {
       a[++d]=line
   }
   close("debug.files")
}
{
   filename=$0
   while( (getline line < filename ) > 0 ){
       m=split(line,t," ")
       if ( t[1]+0 == t[1]){
           for(i=1;i<=d;i++){
              if( a[i] ~ t[1] ){
                print "found"
                found=1   
              }
           }
       }       
       if(f==0){
        print "not found"
       }
   }
   close(filename)   
}'

NB:not tested.
Your attempt seems to be best when it comes to performance but it doesn't work as it shows not found for each line! I'd appreciate it alot if you could get it working.

Last edited by TehOne; 11-05-2009 at 10:51 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep in if statement

Can somebody please guide me towards right syntax: #!/bin/ksh if i = $(grep $NAME filename) echo "Name Found" else echo " Name not Found" fi I need to grep for $NAME in the file, and if it returns false, execute a series of commands and if true, exit out. The above is not the right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve grep performance...

Hi All, I am using grep command to find string "abc" in one file . content of file is *********** abc = xyz def= lmn ************ i have given the below mentioned command to redirect the output to tmp file grep abc file | sort -u | awk '{print #3}' > out_file Then i am searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooga17
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed performance

hello experts, i am trying to replace a line in a 100+mb text file. the structure is similar to the passwd file, id:value1:value2 and so on. using the sed command sed -i 's/\(123\):\(\{1,\}\):/\1:bar:/' data.txt works nicely, the line "123:foo:" is replaced by "123:bar:". however, it takes... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f3k
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep statement

Hi All, Please can somebody advise that if I want to search a pattern xyz the grep command should only select xyz and not any other pattern containing xyz (ex abxyzcd) Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

performance of shell script ( grep command)

Hi, I have to find out the run time for 40-45 different componets. These components writes in to a genreric log file in a single directory. eg. directory is LOG and the log file name format is generic_log_<process_id>_<date YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS>.log i am taking the run time using the time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

6. Programming

Help with improve the performance of grep

Input file: #content_1 12314345345 242467 #content_14 436677645 576577657 #content_100 3425546 56 #content_12 243254546 1232454 . . Reference file: content_100 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk/sed/grep with goto statement!

Hi, I have an array with characters and I am looking for specific character in that array and if those specific character not found than I use goto statment which is define somehwhere in the script. My code is: set a = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#a}) if ($a != "F" || $a != "D")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GREP in IF Statement

Hello All, I have 2 different pieces of code, I am confused why the Code1 is giving me the correct result where as the Code2 is not giving me correct result. It gives me always result as "Failure" irrespective of the "ERROR" word exists in logfile or not. may I know the reason why? I am using Bash... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance improvement in grep

Below script is used to search numeric data from around 400 files in a folder. I have 300 such folders. Need help in performance improvement in the script. Below Script searches 20 such folders ( 300 files in each folder) simultaneously. This increases cpu utilization upto 90% What changes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
setreuid(2)							   System Calls 						       setreuid(2)

NAME
setreuid - set real and effective user IDs SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setreuid(uid_t ruid, uid_t euid); DESCRIPTION
The setreuid() function is used to set the real and effective user IDs of the calling process. If ruid is -1, the real user ID is not changed; if euid is -1, the effective user ID is not changed. The real and effective user IDs may be set to different values in the same call. If the {PRIV_PROC_SETID} privilege is asserted in the effective set of the calling process, the real user ID and the effective user ID can be set to any legal value. If the {PRIV_PROC_SETID} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process, either the real user ID can be set to the effective user ID, or the effective user ID can either be set to the saved set-user ID from execve() (seeexec(2)) or the real user ID. In either case, if the real user ID is being changed (that is, if ruid is not -1), or the effective user ID is being changed to a value not equal to the real user ID, the saved set-user ID is set equal to the new effective user ID. All privileges are required to change to uid 0. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned, errno is set to indicate the error, and neither of the user IDs will be changed. ERRORS
The setreuid() function will fail if: EINVAL The value of ruid or euid is less than 0 or greater than UID_MAX (defined in <limits.h>). EPERM The {PRIV_PROC_SETID} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling processes and a change was specified other than changing the real user ID to the effective user ID, or changing the effective user ID to the real user ID or the saved set-user ID. See privileges(5) for additional restrictions which apply when changing to UID 0. USAGE
If a set-user-ID process sets its effective user ID to its real user ID, it can still set its effective user ID back to the saved set-user ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), getuid(2), setregid(2), setuid(2), attributes(5), privileges(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 22 Mar 2004 setreuid(2)