Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shellscript to find duplicates according to size Post 302368655 by methyl on Thursday 5th of November 2009 09:25:31 AM
Old 11-05-2009
You will be better using "cksum" to decide if file content is identical.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shellscript to find a line in between a particular set of lines of a text file

i have a file a.txt and following is only one portion. I want to search <branch value="/dev36/AREA/" include="yes"></branch> present in between <template_file name="Approve External" path="core/approve/bin" and </template_file> where the no of lines containing "<branch value= " is increasing ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use shellscript to find the count of a line in a set of lines

I have a file a.xml some portion of the file is given below.But the file format is same. CTYPE available_templates SYSTEM './available_templates.dtd'> <available_templates> <template_file name="Approve External" path="core/approve/bin" <command_list> <command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ShellScript that emails you size of dir

I have this so far: #!/bin/sh FOLDER='/home'; MAXSIZE='50'; MAILADRES='username@server.com'; if ; then echo "$FOLDER too big" | /usr/sbin/sendmail $MAILADRES echo "test"; fi But i need to figure out how to have it search all the users on the system and then find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fourthe
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with file size and show the size

Hi All... is the below command be modified in sucha way that i can get the file size along with the name and path of the file the below command only gives me the file location which are more than 100000k...but I want the exact size of the file also.. find / -name "*.*" -size +100000k ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpraharaj84
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find digit which is greater than 1000 in text -using shellscript

Hi All, I am having an abc.txt , which contains some digits Eg:abc.txt 145 566 355 I want write shellscript in suchway that if any digit is greter than 1000 then it shuld display " text files contain digit, which is greater than 1000" Please help me to do so Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates depending on file size

Hi all, I am working with a huge amount of files in a Linux environment and I was trying to filter my data. Here's what my data looks like Name............................Size OLUSDN.gf.gif-1.JPEG.......5 kb LKJFDA01.gf.gif-1.JPEG.....3 kb LKJFDA01.gf.gif-2.JPEG.....1 kb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the shellscript which is running In background is completed or not?

HI All, I need the answer of below question? 1) how to find the shellscript which is running In background is completed or not ? ex: I know the shellscript name abc.sh which is running in background through cronjob. I want to know this is job is still running or stopped, how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find duplicates in file with line numbers

Hello All, This is a noob question. I tried searching for the answer but the answer found did not help me . I have a file that can have duplicates. 100 200 300 400 100 150 the number 100 is duplicated twice. I want to find the duplicate along with the line number. expected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vatigers
4 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Find duplicates among 2 directories

I have 2 directories, /media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/ /media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Linux_Files/. I want to find which files are duplicates so I can delete them from one of those directories. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
13 Replies
cksum(1)							   User Commands							  cksum(1)

NAME
cksum - write file checksums and sizes SYNOPSIS
cksum [file]... DESCRIPTION
The cksum command calculates and writes to standard output a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) for each input file, and also writes to standard output the number of octets in each file. For each file processed successfully, cksum will write in the following format: "%u %d %s " <checksum>, <# of octets>, <path name> If no file operand was specified, the path name and its leading space will be omitted. The CRC used is based on the polynomial used for CRC error checking in the referenced Ethernet standard. The encoding for the CRC checksum is defined by the generating polynomial: G(x) = x^32 + x^26 + x^23 + x^22 + x^16 + x^12 + x^11 + x^10 + x^8 + x^7 + x^5 + x^4 + x^2 + x + 1 Mathematically, the CRC value corresponding to a given file is defined by the following procedure: 1. The n bits to be evaluated are considered to be the coefficients of a mod 2 polynomial M(x) of degree n-1. These n bits are the bits from the file, with the most significant bit being the most significant bit of the first octet of the file and the last bit being the least significant bit of the last octet, padded with zero bits (if necessary) to achieve an integral number of octets, followed by one or more octets representing the length of the file as a binary value, least significant octet first. The small- est number of octets capable of representing this integer is used. 2. M(x) is multiplied by x ^32 (that is, shifted left 32 bits) and divided by G(x) using mod 2 division, producing a remainder R(x) of degree <= 31. 3. The coefficients of R(x) are considered to be a 32-bit sequence. 4. The bit sequence is complemented and the result is the CRC. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of a file to be checked. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. USAGE
The cksum command is typically used to quickly compare a suspect file against a trusted version of the same, such as to ensure that files transmitted over noisy media arrive intact. However, this comparison cannot be considered cryptographically secure. The chances of a dam- aged file producing the same CRC as the original are astronomically small; deliberate deception is difficult, but probably not impossible. Although input files to cksum can be any type, the results need not be what would be expected on character special device files. Since this document does not specify the block size used when doing input, checksums of character special files need not process all of the data in those files. The algorithm is expressed in terms of a bitstream divided into octets. If a file is transmitted between two systems and undergoes any data transformation (such as moving 8-bit characters into 9-bit bytes or changing "Little Endian" byte ordering to "Big Endian"), identical CRC values cannot be expected. Implementations performing such transformations may extend cksum to handle such situations. See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cksum when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cksum: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All files were processed successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
digest(1), sum(1), bart(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 cksum(1)