Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Symbol table of a C program
Top Forums Programming Symbol table of a C program Post 302368511 by MrUser on Thursday 5th of November 2009 03:14:51 AM
Old 11-05-2009
Quote:
You can use: objdump or nm.

how to use the commands , i used

Code:
[User@telnet spark]$ objdump -t te.o
te.o: file format elf32-i386
SYMBOL TABLE:
00000000 l df *ABS* 00000000 te.c
00000000 l d .text 00000000
00000000 l d .data 00000000
00000000 l d .bss 00000000
00000000 l d .rodata 00000000
00000000 l d .comment 00000000
00000000 g O .data 00000004 p
00000000 g F .text 00000035 main
00000000 *UND* 00000000 printf

when i use objdump its giving the list of options that can be used with it.
i tried all but dint understand much.

i want the info in following format:

Code:

symbolname section address default val 
g                rwdata    ----      0

and so on

if any global variables are present it should give U ( undefined/ defined later)

Last edited by pludi; 11-05-2009 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: code tags added

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

no symbol table

Hi@all, I try to compile c code on hpux 11.11 pa-risc 2 with gcc (32bit). I compile with the option -g, so that I get the symbol table, but it is not available. Does someone knows something on this? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dom_Cyrus
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to view symbol table in unix

hi , How to view the contents of a "c" program symbol table information in unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan_nitt
1 Replies

3. Linux

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
0 Replies

4. Programming

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
2 Replies

5. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

6. Programming

C program to display a busy symbol while processing

Hi I was wondering how can a c program will be implemented which will display a symbol while calculating something. for example : program should display some charters like /\/\ while calculating. At least provide some pointers thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a condensed table from a pre-existing table in putty

Hello, I'm working with putty on Windows 7 professional and I'd like to know if there's a way to gather specific lines from a pre-existing table and make a new table with that information. More specifically, I'd like the program to look at a specific column, say column N, and see if any of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deedee393
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build a table from a list by comparing existing table entries

I am new to this shell scripting.... I have a file which contains list of users. This files get updated when new user comes into the system. I want to create script which will give a table containing unique list of users. When I say unique, it means script should match table while parsing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchavan1901
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Getting Rid of Annoying Bootstrap Table Borders and Wayward Table Lines

Bootstrap is great; but we have had some issues with Bootstrapped <tables> (and legacy <fieldset> elements) showing annoying, wayward lines. I solved that problem today with this simple jQuery in the footer: <script> $(function(){ $('tr, td, fieldset,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

10. Programming

Search the symbol table of a child process

Hi, I am a newbie in Linux land, and I have a question about programming parent/child process interaction: How do I search the value of a symbol in the child process? Is it possible? I am doing a fork() and execve() to spawn any child possible, and I need something on the parent side to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphakili
12 Replies
KSYMS(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  KSYMS(4)

NAME
ksyms -- kernel symbol table interface SYNOPSIS
device ksyms DESCRIPTION
The /dev/ksyms character device provides a read-only interface to a snapshot of the kernel symbol table. The in-kernel symbol manager is designed to be able to handle many types of symbols tables, however, only elf(5) symbol tables are supported by this device. The ELF format image contains two sections: a symbol table and a corresponding string table. Symbol Table The SYMTAB section contains the symbol table entries present in the current running kernel, including the symbol table entries of any loaded modules. The symbols are ordered by the kernel module load time starting with kernel file symbols first, followed by the first loaded module's symbols and so on. String Table The STRTAB section contains the symbol name strings from the kernel and any loaded modules that the symbol table entries refer- ence. Elf formated symbol table data read from the /dev/ksyms file represents the state of the kernel at the time when the device is opened. Since /dev/ksyms has no text or data, most of the fields are initialized to NULL. The ksyms driver does not block the loading or unloading of mod- ules into the kernel while the /dev/ksyms file is open but may contain stale data. IOCTLS
The ioctl(2) command codes below are defined in <sys/ksyms.h>. The (third) argument to the ioctl(2) should be a pointer to the type indicated. KIOCGSIZE (size_t) Returns the total size of the current symbol table. This can be used when allocating a buffer to make a copy of the kernel symbol table. KIOCGADDR (void *) Returns the address of the kernel symbol table mapped in the process memory. FILES
/dev/ksyms ERRORS
An open(2) of /dev/ksyms will fail if: [EBUSY] The device is already open. A process must close /dev/ksyms before it can be opened again. [ENOMEM] There is a resource shortage in the kernel. [ENXIO] The driver was unsuccessful in creating a snapshot of the kernel symbol table. This may occur if the kernel was in the process of loading or unloading a module. SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), nlist(3), elf(5), kldload(8) HISTORY
A ksyms device exists in many different operating systems. This implementation is similar in function to the Solaris and NetBSD ksyms driver. The ksyms driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0 to support lockstat(1). BUGS
Because files can be dynamically linked into the kernel at any time the symbol information can vary. When you open the /dev/ksyms file, you have access to an ELF image which represents a snapshot of the state of the kernel symbol information at that instant in time. Keeping the device open does not block the loading or unloading of kernel modules. To get a new snapshot you must close and re-open the device. A process is only allowed to open the /dev/ksyms file once at a time. The process must close the /dev/ksyms before it is allowed to open it again. The ksyms driver uses the calling process' memory address space to store the snapshot. ioctl(2) can be used to get the memory address where the symbol table is stored to save kernel memory. mmap(2) may also be used but it will map it to another address. AUTHORS
The ksyms driver was written by Stacey Son <sson@freebsd.org>. BSD
April 5, 2009 BSD