Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting WildCard serach for files in a directory Post 302368198 by Sgiri1 on Wednesday 4th of November 2009 10:01:06 AM
Old 11-04-2009
Hi,

the file1,file2 and file3 are examples that i gave.

All the three file names are completely different from each other. It would more be like.

testapp_110320092034
newfile_110320091634
obsolete_110420090334

in the same script how can i direct the return value to a text file in a directory?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files using wildcard

I have the following requirement. PATHA =/opr/itr/ PATHB=/etc/data/ FILENAME=*abc* file name is wild carded as there could be many files with name abc anywhere I tried mv $PATHA/$FILENAME $PATHB and I got a error that /etc/data/ can not be created Could any one please help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onlyjayaram
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to list a file in a folder containing 800,000 files using wildcard

Hi, I have a directory with possibly around 800,000 files in it. What is the fastest way to list file(s) in this directory with a wildcard. for example would ls -1 *.abcdefg.Z or find . -name "*.abcdefg.Z" be the fastest way to find all of the files that end with .abcdefg.Z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenation of multiple files with wildcard

I have the following snippet to concatenate about a hundred csv-files: for file in *csv; do cat $file >> newfile; done This line works, but before I was experimenting with the following line, which is more intuitive and is a tad more robust: for file in *.csv; do cat $file >> newfile; done Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serach a pattern

Hi, I am trying to find a particular patter in multiple UNIX files (also contain system files,hidden files and normal files) i am now using CMD: egrep -ali 'pattern' * i am not getting the required result, i just need files path and finename Naveen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory with wildcard in FTP server

Hi , I am looking for a command to change directory in FTP server with wildcard specified. Basically this is what i am trying. localserver# ftp remoteserver ftp> ls 41000_42000 42000_43000 ftp> cd 41* 550 CWD failed. '41*' : no such file or directory. Could anyone please let me know... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thavamaniraja
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with wildcard directory

I want to look if there is any file inside a specific directory which was modified before 2 days. I wrote the find command, but the problem is there is one directory and that is a random directory generated by unix, so not sure on how to code for that on the find command. find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini0603
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh(!93) for loop with wildcard and empty directory

I'm sure this is by design, but using something like for f in dir/* do echo $f done produces unexpected (to me) results if run against an empty directory. I'd have expected it to not execute the loop, but it actually calls it with f set to 'dir/*'. Now I know that I'm trying to protect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spr00t
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list and move files with spaces and wildcard?

I am writing a code that can move and archve all the files in a directory except the latest file based on file pattern provided in a controlfile. The filename is in the form of pattern. So basically we find the all the files of the pattern provided and archive all of them, leaving one latest file.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
3 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)